Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

"V8 Interceptor" Replica...

Old 11-07-2002, 06:35 AM
Former 757'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous
Post "V8 Interceptor" Replica...

Alright, as the subject says... I have some questions about building a replica V8 Interceptor from the Mad Max movies. The ORIGINAL car, the one built as a promo for the first movie, had a Pontiac 455 with a Weiand 8-71 supercharger. The one they actually used for the movie was just a Ford 351 Windor with a surpercharger case with the carb's inside of it. Anyway, to my questions...
How much does a 1970-71 Ford Torino cost?
I'd also need a 71-73 Mach 1 front end...
and 70-71 Mercury Cyclone tail lights.
How hard would it be to fit a Pontiac motor into a Ford frame? Would it just be a matter of welding in the mounts and dropping in the motor...?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:25 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

that pontiac 455 isn't necessarily worth all the trouble- a gm big block will likely be an ordeal to mount into a ford anything. good luck finding someone who has done it.

plenty of power can be made from a 351w, it'd be easier to stick with that imo.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by blackout
that pontiac 455 isn't necessarily worth all the trouble- a gm big block will likely be an ordeal to mount into a ford anything. good luck finding someone who has done it.

plenty of power can be made from a 351w, it'd be easier to stick with that imo.
If I do stick with a Ford engine, it'll be a BB
Old 11-07-2002, 11:01 AM
LV2XLR8

91Blackbird is an unknown quantity at this point

With the Ford motors you have the 428, 429, and 460 I believe and some higher as well... I'm not as well versed in those as I am in GM's.

Back in the 70's the Pontiac 455 Super Duty was one of the motor to have. Doubt you'll find one of those, however. Buick also had a 455, there are a ton of Chevy 454's out there.

Getting the engine to fit in there shouldn't be a problem, just fabricating the motor mounts & the tranny crossmember will be the only small hangups that I can think of. When you pop the hood on that bad boy, all you see is space and more space! No emmissions, sensors, etc. Just an engine, a few carbs, and a distributer. Very Simple. You might run into more hangups as you go along, but shouldn't be any show-stoppers. I've seen a couple of former 302 mustangs running around with 350-400cid Small block chevys .

As for the Torino, It all depends on the condition but 2-5 grand should net you a real decent one. I'm not sure about the Torino GT, but if you are looking to swap in a GM big block, it wouldn't be much of a concern. You should also look into rebuilding the suspension and brakes up to a more modern par while your at it.

Sounds like a helluva project your going to undertake. It will be a lot of work but it will really pay off in the end.

Clint

Last edited by 91Blackbird; 11-07-2002 at 11:05 AM.