Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

type r transmission 5th gear pop off?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakedrift1217 has disabled reputation
Default type r transmission 5th gear pop off?

I recently traded my car with hatch and the car is modified pretty bad but when I hit the road for a while with 5th gear(cruise) time to time the 5th gear pops off and its kinda annoying me. Is the pop off normal for type r transmission? I heard from one guy that it is normal for the transmission when i gets heated up. any idea?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: type r transmission 5th gear pop off?

Change the transmission fluid. It's probably either the wrong fluid, or the fluid is low. If the right type (and proper amount) of fluid doesn't fix it, the 5th gear synchro is probably the problem. B-series transmissions are notorious for popping out of gear in 5th if the fluid is low.

If it was any gear but 5th i would say it was most likely a synchro problem, but 5th gear doesn't usually take much synchro abuse like the lower gears do.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Registered member

thanx for the info gotta go and check the fluid
Old 01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

there is no way to "check" the fluid on a manual transmission honda. take a 3/8 ratchet to the drain bolt, loosen, take vss out, fill back up, done. it like a 45 minute process from the time you break out the jack and stands.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered member

so i gotta just feel the oil without checking it? wow, that sux.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

Originally Posted by boredom
there is no way to "check" the fluid on a manual transmission honda. take a 3/8 ratchet to the drain bolt, loosen, take vss out, fill back up, done. it like a 45 minute process from the time you break out the jack and stands.
Wrong. B series trans do have a fill bolt and it doubles as a level check. You should do some research next time before you just assume you know what your talking about.

Originally Posted by brakedrift1217
so i gotta just feel the oil without checking it? wow, that sux.
here is a picture of where the fill/level check plug is:

More information since there seems to be some confusion in this thread:

While there is no indicator or a dipstick like you'd find on an automatic transmission, you can check the fluid level if the car is level.

1) remove fill plug
2) if fluid drips out or if the fluid is up to the bottom of the fill hole then your good. If not then remove the vss and fill until fluid drips out of the fill hole.

Last edited by crxmadness; 01-17-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

in a way he was right, automatic transmissions have the dip stick so you can "just check" the fluid level, manual do not......which you have already shown the fill plug....which requires you to lift the car up and remove the plug......so you cant "just check " the fluid level..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Is in ur head, why?

crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness crxmadness

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
in a way he was right, automatic transmissions have the dip stick so you can "just check" the fluid level, manual do not......which you have already shown the fill plug....which requires you to lift the car up and remove the plug......so you cant "just check " the fluid level..
He did not ask if there was a dip stick, he just wanted to check the fluid "thanx for the info gotta go and check the fluid" Why are you sticking up for someone who is so blatantly wrong?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:01 AM
breath

tucker5129 tucker5129 tucker5129 tucker5129

Originally Posted by crxmadness
Wrong. B series trans do have a fill bolt and it doubles as a level check. You should do some research next time before you just assume you know what your talking about.

here is a picture of where the fill/level check plug is:

More information since there seems to be some confusion in this thread:

While there is no indicator or a dipstick like you'd find on an automatic transmission, you can check the fluid level if the car is level.

1) remove fill plug
2) if fluid drips out or if the fluid is up to the bottom of the fill hole then your good. If not then remove the vss and fill until fluid drips out of the fill hole.
this^^

no reason to drain and fill to "check"
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

ok, so tell me this, without the use of a lift, how the fuck are you going to "check" the fill bolt without pissing fluid out of the tranny? it would also take the same amount of time to use your method as it would to drain and re-fill the trans. popping out of 5th gear is a tale-tale sign of low/no fluid in your trans.

Quick Reply: type r transmission 5th gear pop off?