Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Type R cams + Stock b16 head?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default Type R cams + Stock b16 head?

Alright, Well I have a set of TYPE R Cams with AEM True Time Cam gears and an AEBS Intake manifold. I'd like to put them both on at the same time, however, I've heard stories of people using Type R cams on a stock b16 head having to do a valve adjustment constantly. Would the Type R cams be fine if they are installed correctly or do I need to upgrade the valve train?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

1kreationz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Type R cams + Stock b16 head?

Originally Posted by Sedan Man stan
Alright, Well I have a set of TYPE R Cams with AEM True Time Cam gears and an AEBS Intake manifold. I'd like to put them both on at the same time, however, I've heard stories of people using Type R cams on a stock b16 head having to do a valve adjustment constantly. Would the Type R cams be fine if they are installed correctly or do I need to upgrade the valve train?

Noo....u dont have to constantly adjust the valves thats a lie, if u decide to put the itr cams on ur b16 head, even before all that if ur b16 head wasnt having any valve ticks then it shouldnt be a problem at all. if ur head has no kinda ticking by u putting on the itr cams you shouldnt have any problems good upgrade for b16.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by 1kreationz
Noo....u dont have to constantly adjust the valves thats a lie, if u decide to put the itr cams on ur b16 head, even before all that if ur b16 head wasnt having any valve ticks then it shouldnt be a problem at all. if ur head has no kinda ticking by u putting on the itr cams you shouldnt have any problems good upgrade for b16.
Cool, thanks man! That's what I was looking for. I just didn't want to put them in then later find out I have to take them out. I need some more power for this thing.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

Cool, thanks man! That's what I was looking for. I just didn't want to put them in then later find out I have to take them out. I need some more power for this thing.
no prob.....boost that b16 or go poor mans type r with the gsr block with your pr3 or p30 pistons and then run your itr cams.....better power on rpm ranges instead of that b16 engine always having to be in vtec in order for it to really move lol.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by 1kreationz
no prob.....boost that b16 or go poor mans type r with the gsr block with your pr3 or p30 pistons and then run your itr cams.....better power on rpm ranges instead of that b16 engine always having to be in vtec in order for it to really move lol.
Hahahha, yeah I hear that. I just bought my old nitrous kit back, so I may squeeze on it.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Hahahha, yeah I hear that. I just bought my old nitrous kit back, so I may squeeze on it.

but watch out for them b16 piston rings, they be burning out quick, while under force induction
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

it would be cheaper to buy a type-r motor than to do a poor mans type-r. b16 pistons in a gsr block is great though. I would also recomend k series bearings as well. I would do the valve springs and retainers while your there just for the hell of it. This is all refering to an all motor set up of course.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by ILLEGAL
it would be cheaper to buy a type-r motor than to do a poor mans type-r. b16 pistons in a gsr block is great though. I would also recomend k series bearings as well. I would do the valve springs and retainers while your there just for the hell of it. This is all refering to an all motor set up of course.
K-series bearings..wtf?

I honestly don't know what kind of build I'm going to do. I really would be happy with a reliable 12 second car.

But I'm also going to be building a 5.0 foxbody in the near future too, so we will see..
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

If you're going to a more aggressive cam such as the ITR, I would strongly recommend inner springs (inner/outer) and a change of LMA's (seems these are always forgotten in head upgrades or more times than none).