Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Talk for 99EM1

Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 AM
FT-86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz Mumblz
Default Turbo Talk for 99EM1

Looking in boosting the B16 in my 99 Si (just to add alil extra power), I was looking at this Greddy Kit, since i don't want to get rid of my AC/PS I was looking at this:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/greddy/grturbokits.htm

Anyone has any experience with this kit that would like to share.

Also any other recommendations on Kits would be appreciated

(Planning on just running with ~5 psi for now)

[As always thanks in Advance]
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Turbo Talk for 99EM1

Greddy kit is fine. My friend had a Greddy kit on his 99 Si that had 62,000 miles. Daily drove it for 4 years before selling it.

Keep the boost to the levels of what greddy tells you to and you'll be fine.

He even used the little blue box that came with the kit.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

it's a good starter turbo. Just be sure that when you purchase this kit, you know what you are getting. There are 2 prices on most places: one that comes with the intercooler kit and another that exclude the intercooler kit. Also, the BOV is not normally with the kit. So, you will have to purchase that separately, along with the BOV flange.

I have installed a few of these GReddy kits. The biggest issue I came across... but this is at least a couple of years ago... was the GReddy E-manage that the kit comes with. E-manage is now a standard system that comes with the kit, unlike the 1st gen (black box), 2nd gen (blue box). It's a great thing that the E-manage can be tuned with proper software. But the issues I have seen before (years ago) was that some of the initial "flash" (or initial set points) were faulty causing the CEL to pop up and placing the ECU on a limp mode. At first, I thought it was just that specific e-manage that my customer received. So, GReddy sent him another e-manage after waiting almost 2 months for it, only to find out that the new e-manage was just as jacked up. Within this waiting time, I was again tasked to install 2 more GReddy kits. Same issues.... one had a bad e-manage and the another didnt even take the risk... just went Uberdata instead.

Dont get me wrong now... this is at least 2-3 years back when GReddy made the e-manage a standard to go with the kit.

Goodluck.

Last edited by thermal; 03-24-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
FT-86

thanks, hopefully if it comes down that i'm getting this it won't screw me over. How much does it usually cost to intall? I know the Greddy comes with instructions. But more comfortable for someone else with experience to do it. or does it pretty much depend on the shop/person i bring it to
Old 03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

if you are in my area I'll do it for cheap... it is normally between $400-600. Labor is expensive. It will take about 2 days to properly do it. The injectors and E-manage install are both time consuming... The wiring should be soldered and heat shrunk... I dont believe in crimping when it comes to electronics that is vital to performance....

Also, the kit does NOT come with gauges. Another great kit out there is the turbonetics kit. Look it up.....
Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 PM
FT-86

thanks