Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Si w/ stock suspension - retarded?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dubass is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Turbo Si w/ stock suspension - retarded?

OK I just want to make a point here, b/c my other efforts have not worked.
I know a kid with a 99 Si (b16a) with basic engine bolt-ons (CAI, exhaust, CTR intake mani) and strut bars (whew-hew! ) - thats it. stock wheels and tires and stock suspension. He wants to turbo it next, but I keep trying to grind into his head that power without control is pointless.

I personally believe in building well-rounded sports cars that will run with Porches on road courses, not building unbalanced, overpowered, straight-line only cars that'll run with Camaros in a drag or on the highway. I keep telling him to lower the damn thing first with some springs/shocks/struts (or coilovers -$$$) and get a LSD and clutch installed with the turbo kit. Now, I know its easy to spend someone elses money, but does anyone see what I'm getting at here? I think it would be better to collect parts and wait as long as neccessary to do it right than piece it together out of order.

Things only get more complicated with the fact that he's trying to work out some kind of "sponsorship" with a local shop. They offer free labor on the install if he'll push the shop. I don't wanna go deeply into the shops rep, competance, or business practices, but basically they seem to be pushing him into getting the turbo on ASAP to advertise. I think this is even more retarded because you'd think they would want a well built car to represent their shop. I don't consider an otherwise stock car with an off-the-shelf turbo kit to be well built, but maybe I'm just old school.

Whatever happened to "fun to drive" and "tossability" being just as valued as straight line speed? It's like the import scene is devolving into the pro stock muscle car days. I can't think of a single car manufacturer out there that makes a [good] sport model simply by adding power. They always improve handling in proportion to the increased power, [not to mention BRAKES!] it's only logical. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree in the DRAG VA forums, but I'm hoping someone out there will agree with me and talk some sense into this mislead soul. What do you guys think??? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex
Default Re: Turbo Si w/ stock suspension - retarded?

Let him do whatever he wants. He will figure out what else he needs later. A clutch especially even at 7 psi.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

D_Eclipse9916 has disabled reputation

Ahahha thats funny cuz ive got a friend that has a 99 civic si and I advise him on stuff. He has basically given up on straight-line speed, and we have gone the twisties, cuz more fun and less likely to be caught (notice the LESS). We have the tein SS with pillowball uppermoutns coming in tuesday and comptech sway bar/tie bar combo coming up soon. Hope you convince him out of the turbo route untiul he has major supporting mods (like being able to control that speed)
Old 12-05-2004, 01:52 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

he'll be fine
Old 12-05-2004, 02:31 PM
BITCHES COME!!

Zulu has disabled reputation

Stock Si's dont handle that bad to begin with. And if all he is doing is the daily commute then he should be ok for a while since most of his driving would be straight line, highway, or city driving. Controlling the speed shouldnt be a problem if he knows his car fairly well and knows what its handling limits are as is. If this was a straight track car, then hells yes do the suspension first, but if power is what he craves then let him have it.

However, you could have a lot more fun on a clover leaf with a better suspension then with more power. But to each his own. I like the rounded approach myself, but you have to make the car unbalanced at some point of the build if it is your daily driver. If he adds a kick ass suspension now, then he might be able to hang with a porsche in low speed twisties, but he would be wanting more in the straights and the looser turns, which would make the car unbalanced. Don't forget the brakes either!! You are right about the clutch. If he goes turbo he will need one real quick like if he keeps his stocker. The LSD is more of a grey area. He wouldn't NEED it, but he should get one with the turbo or before the turbo if his budget allows it. He should definatly get it at some point regardless.

Lastly, I agree that tons of power does not make a well built car. But, then again, a road race suspension on an otherwise stock car does not make a well built car either, so six of one, half dozen of the other. The real question should be has he thought this through as far as the turbo kti goes? Has he accounted for tuning costs? Gauges? Engine Mangament? Ancillary stuff like the clutch, lsd, oil catch can, oil cooler, etc.? It starts to add up. Does he even know what kind of power he is looking for or the goals for the car. Those are the questions I think you should be asking him. Maybe he will take the time to ponder his engine a little longer and build his suspension in the mean time.