Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Problems

Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough
Default Turbo Problems

I have a 1994 del sol with a d15 and i put a garret t3 t4 turbo kit on there with a tial fmu, I wasnt sure how far to unscrew the manul boost controler but i unscrewed it a little too much hence the 12 pounds of boost i peaked at and blew a 4 inch hole in my block, i wondering if i can just replace the block and use same pistons rods ect or if you think i shot a rod out and need to replace internals? What do yall recommend

Last edited by 94delsolS; 03-13-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:13 PM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing
Default Re: Turbo Problems

the block itself cost next to nothing... it would cost less and would be more work just to buy a complete short block.. this is one of the few good things about those motors
Old 03-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

If you blew a hole in the block, it was due to rod failure, probably the cause of a spun rod bearing. Just buy a complete motor, as it was mentioned they are cheap. What wastegate do you have? you either have too stiff of a spring in your wastegate OR your boost controller, or both...

or are you saying the nut/bolt on the boost controller backed out and fell off?

I use red loctite on mine just to be sure lol..

sorry to hear
Old 03-13-2006, 06:23 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

I've never heard of a Tial FMU....

Anyway, do not risk using the same rods the blew through your motor. It takes a lot of force to get a rod to break through those walls. I wont even use the crank again. Buy another D block. It is cheap. You can get that shit for like $100, head and bottom end.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Yup, replace the whole damn thing.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough94delsolS is a jewel in the rough

Well i just found a rebuilt d15 new rod bearings master bearing ect and tranny with new clutch and refinished fly wheel also new water pump for only 400 dollars so i took my motor out last night well almost out couldnt get onbe of the shift linkage castle nuts to come off but whatever its ready to come out and i guess ill put the new motor in sat and run less boost well less than 12 probably 6-8 max ill seee how that does and hopefully i wont be seeing any more 3-4 inch holes in my block lol
Old 03-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Dang pretty good deal you got there!!!!

What are you using for fuel management! Don't want the same thing to happen again, thats for sure..
Old 03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

just an fmu but i only plan to run 4-6 punds of boost this time that should be safe i think
Old 03-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Registered member

Whoa, yea no wonder it went poof, I would definitely NOT go any more than 6 psi at the MOST. If you can soon, get a socketed ecu and a eprom programmer, then some bigger injectors so you can tune it correctly.. I have a pretty good basemap for a D15 if you ever decide to go that route..