Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo help

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 PM
tits anyone?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default turbo help

got a 94 civic ex that im gonna be putting a turbo kit on this weekend prob, and im curious about driving it to my tuner. my problem is i dont have a car trailer and I need to get the car to glouster to get the resistor box installed and my computer crome chipped and tuned. im going to be driving it from poquoson to glouster and i wanna know if I can install all the turbo parts, but leave the bov off on the ride over, or just the charge pipe all together so i wont be making any boost and lean out, I plan on staying at very low rpms while driving. Its sounds like it would be ok to me but want some opinions
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 PM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo
Default Re: turbo help

as long as you dont get into boost and are VERY light on the throttle, you will be fine.

Even though you are in vacuum, there is still excess air in the charge pipes that does need to get released when the throttle closes. You dont want compressor surge because that could be issues down the road.

i would recommend ATLEAST having your BOV on if you driving that far.

no boost and you will be fine.

o, you will have to have the charge pipes on because of you vacuum lines and such. your car would be nothing but a huge vacuum leak.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

ok, I know I would have vacuum leaks if I were to hook up all the lines, but when I say "leave the bov off" i mean take it off of the charge pipe to let any boost escape. and I would just install all needed vacuum lines once I got the car to my tuner, I guess the turbo would just make a lot of noise if it were tryin to build boost and all the air escaping from the charge pipe hole (bov flange)
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by nismo
as long as you dont get into boost and are VERY light on the throttle, you will be fine.

Even though you are in vacuum, there is still excess air in the charge pipes that does need to get released when the throttle closes. You dont want compressor surge because that could be issues down the road.

i would recommend ATLEAST having your BOV on if you driving that far.

no boost and you will be fine.

o, you will have to have the charge pipes on because of you vacuum lines and such. your car would be nothing but a huge vacuum leak.

So you're under vacuum but there's extra air in the charge pipes? How can you have excess air if you're drawing vacuum against an airflow restriction? You don't have enough air but there's extra air? What...?

So try this: Spend money with your check card until you overdraw your bank account (your account is now in vacuum; you spent more money than you actually have). Then go donate the money you have left to charity (the "excess" money)...

Compressor surge won't be a problem if the turbo isn't flowing enough to get out of vacuum, because the turbo won't be getting driven with enough power to cause problems. We're talking really light loads if you're keeping in vacuum or close to it.

Any vacuum lines upsteam of the throttle body are not going to be any different then before you had a turbo. They'll leak when they're not under boost exactly the same as with no turbo at all. Pressure is pressure.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-02-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 PM
tits anyone?

ok, let me get this in easy to read form. putting a turbo kit on my car, leaving the charge pipe off. leaving all vacuum lines as they would be with oem parts. throttle body will be sucking in air as it should. turbo will be being driven by exhaust, but all the boost it is tryin to make will be let go out of the charge pipe, where it is suppose to be goin in the throttle body. my question is, will it be ok to drive about 40 miles like this. I think it should be fine seein as though it wont be puttin any boost to the motor, but i dont wanna fugg anything up, so will it be ok?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Listen... I dont see the reason why you would keep all the vacuum lines in OEM configuration. Connect what you need to connect for all the vacuum lines related to turbo, including the BOV vacuum line. This will save you time and frustration once you get to your tuning destination. All you have to do is leave a section off somewhere in the charged pipe. Connect everything as you would as if the car is turboed. A missing section of the charged pipe will prevent any pressure from entering the throttle plate (blah blah blah.. to your motor). Just make sure that you put a some kind of filter before the throttle plate.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Throw a stick in the turbo

I had to. Looks like you've got your answer allready.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
tits anyone?

yeah im just gonna get everything connected and baby it to my tuner, thanks guys, and thanks to you fabrik8, rep for you