Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo finally installed, few q's

Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klownh8er is on a distinguished road
Default turbo finally installed, few q's

alright so I finally finished installing the damn kit, with the most horrible fitting downpipe ever, and multiple parts that did not fit or thread.

First... I was changing the spark plugs and cyl #1 is soaked in oil.. and as I take the other ones out they are covered too. first thing that comes to mind is the valve cover gasket and/or spark plug gaskets.. any ideas?

Second: my oil feed line from stealthmode meant for a t3/t4 did not thread at all into my garrett t3/t4. I used some rubber deal (instead of teflon too thread it) but it definately isn't working, so tomorrow morning I'm buying the yellow teflon and wrapping the hell out of it... any input on other ways of fixing this?

Thrid: the dp is cdm and obviously fits horribly. it completely is not going to bolt up at all to my cat, it hangs 1-2 inches lower then my cat so it scrapes the ground, and the o2 sensor is not long enough wire wise to thread into the bung (it's a good 2-3inches)

In a nut shell: Reccomendations for the spark plugs covered in oil? Teflon tape the hell out of the fitting that goes into the turbo so it somewhat threads? what type of sealent/or gasket making deals should I use to seal everything up? this is my daily driver lol, at least it's thanksgiving break though
Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: turbo finally installed, few q's

1. The valve cover gasket has nothing to do with the oil on your spark plugs. If the spark plug seal is worn out, which I doubt, the oil on your spark plug will be on the outside not on the threaded side where the spark occurs. You might have a larger problem. You should've checked all these prior to deciding to turbo your car man.

2. This is the first time I've heard of stealthmode's feed line not fitting onto your turbo. Can you clarify which fitting on the feed? If you are referring to the female ends of the steel braided line, then you are wrong..... those are "FLARE" fittings. Do NOT use any type of sealant/teflon on the threads. The sealing surface of those type of fittings is not the threaded area. It's the actual flare (the nipple looking section).

3. You have no choice. You'd have to get that DP customized. Also, O2 sensor wire is not that hard to extend.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Like the above post I agree.

Do a compression test and leak down test to see how healthy this motor is.

Teflon tape should not be used on any oil lines. A piece of tape can block the opening causing detrimental problems.

Measure how much the DP has to come up. Take to an exhaust shop, cut, reweld it and lengthen the o2 wires.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys,
There was never oil on the spark plugs prior, I changed the spark plugs last month and I've installed the motor July 08 ... I was just changing the spark plugs again.
a friend of mine did the headgasket and arp head studs.. maybe he missed something?

I already did a compression test/leak down test all the #'s were healthy.

It's not the actual feed line leaking, it's the oil feed line port on the turbo that is actually leaking. the 90 degree fitting does not thread at all... just goes in and out

For now I just got some metal zip ties so I can drive it too an exhaust hopefully this week (although it is thanksgiving week... so idk) or early next week.

hoping for more feedback
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

+1 on NO TEFLON TAPE. IMO this is the leading cause of oil starvation failures. I have a buddy who went through like 4 turbos before figuring out what he was doing wrong.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 AM

4door_GSR has disabled reputation

never use teflon ever unless its for coolent haha
if you bought a cheap dp the guess wut ur gona have to cut and weld it to where you need it to be ..... sorry that just wut happens when you buy cheap stuff thats not made specifically for your setup.
and for your feed line you could go with a threaded restrector plate that will bolt up to the 2 holes where the feed line goes in and it should come with a threaded -3an port
o and just go to honda dont go the cheap rout and buy a valve cover gasket set it will come with all new seals for the valvecover that will fix your oil leak
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Yeah... downpipe is a pain but I'll just get a custom one made, I'm going to look into that oil restrictor plate.

already checking majestic honda for a valve cover gasket kit

...damn... in regards to the teflon tape thing: I used it on my oil return line flange deal, the fricking thing doesnt thread really and the locking nuts dont lock lol.

I"m going to check w/ stealth and see whats up with my oil lines.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

emailed stealth, I have the newer style t3/t4 so I'm off to home depot and ace hardware to pick up the correct bolts/fittings.

going to take it the dp to a shop, any reccomendations for the chantilly area?

will figure out the oil leak issue asap
Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Sweet, fixed oil feed/oil return line leaks.
there is no oil on my spark plugs anymore (the upper portion, not the threaded)... maybe something happaned when replacing the headgasket.. idk.

Now for my last issue: Anyone have a shop/on the side fabricator in the 703 area with some 3" sections to fix my downpipe and possiblyi a flange?
an open downpipe is horrendously annoying and I feel like a little ricer... no low end power and I won't go into boost until I get tuned... so right now im all show and no go.

SOMEONE HELP ME WITH MY DOWNPIPE PLEASEE, its my dd and I shouldn't have cheaped out on my downpipe damn it.