Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo cooling question

Old 12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
delsol_rider has disabled reputation
Default turbo cooling question

looking at buy a turbo but not sure about water cooled and air cooled. i know the air cooled hooks up to the ic but what about the water part any help would be good thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: turbo cooling question

Personally, I have no clue what you are asking about....try rephrasing the question.
Old 12-25-2004, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

delsol_rider has disabled reputation

ok i was looking at turbos and it said that it was air cooled and water cooled. how would you hook it up
Old 12-25-2004, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Ok, you could be talking about one of two things. Either your talking about a turbo that is water cooled or not water cooled, or your talking about a kit that comes with a normal Air-to-air intercooler or a water intercooler. Once you specify which one your talking about I think you will get a little more help.

If your not sure what I'm talking about, maybe you should take a step back and rethink the whole turbo thing since this should be a very basic thing to know for someone wanting to turbocharger there car...
Old 12-26-2004, 06:11 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

What these guys are trying to tell you is - there's no such thing as an air-cooled turbo...

.. and if there was, it wouldn't be around long.

edit since I'm bored: Turbo's are generally all water cooled, with a few being oil cooled. Water cooled works better. It uses the coolant from your engine (antifreeze = your engine coolant) to cool the turbo down. Oil, obviously, uses the oil that's already being pumped through your turbo to cool it down. This doesn't work nearly as well.. and I don't think I've ever even seen an oil-cooled turbo in person.

What you're referring to is the intercooler. Do a search for 'air to air' and 'water to air' intercoolers, and a few threads should pop up. I'm a water-to-air guy, 99.4% of this board is air-to-air.

Look this shit up on google. Everything I ever learned about cars, I learned from browsing random-assed shit online, and from a book called 'Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell.

Last edited by themacuser.org; 12-26-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=spic]What these guys are trying to tell you is - there's no such thing as an air-cooled turbo...

.. and if there was, it wouldn't be around long.

edit since I'm bored: Turbo's are generally all water cooled, with a few being oil cooled. Water cooled works better. It uses the coolant from your engine (antifreeze = your engine coolant) to cool the turbo down. Oil, obviously, uses the oil that's already being pumped through your turbo to cool it down. This doesn't work nearly as well.. and I don't think I've ever even seen an oil-cooled turbo in person.

QUOTE]

A large portion of aftermarket turbo's are not water-cooled. Most turbo's from the factory are water cooled, but that's because they need to last 70k-100k miles for warranty’s. Most of your basic ball barring t3/t4 turbos are oil cooled. Which is fine as long as you have a turbo timer so the oil does not clog and cook at the top of the turbo. Now as fare as

I know the high end expensive double ball barring turbos like GT35's... are water cooled, but I'm not even sure if all of those are water cooled.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:23 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

What it all boils dont to is that you are too ignorant for boost just yet.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:45 PM
i drive autobahn

Porsche_911 has disabled reputation

your stupid
Old 12-26-2004, 04:48 PM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T

Originally Posted by srt4hokie
Most of your basic ball barring t3/t4 turbos are oil cooled. Which is fine as long as you have a turbo timer so the oil does not clog and cook at the top of the turbo. Now as fare as
Yeah, I was about to say, I didn't realize oil-cooled turbos were so damn rare. I see them all the time.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:31 PM
ballslickem!

BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix BrokeAssCrix

"[QUOTE=spic]What these guys are trying to tell you is - there's no such thing as an air-cooled turbo...

.. and if there was, it wouldn't be around long."

what a dumbass.

some turbos have an oil only CHRA, which is NOT for cooling, but solely for lubrication. most turbo kits come with turbos like this to ease install and keep cost down. they suck and dont last long.

a good turbo for street u se will have 2 spots for oil {one in, one out} and 2 spots for water {also one in one out}

basically you just add a fitting to where each radiator hose connects to your engine and run engine coolant through the turbo to keep it from coking.

all fact turbo cars have both oil adn water flowing through the turbo.

Quick Reply: turbo cooling question