Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo?

Old 01-27-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eight Grand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Turbo?

I drive a 95 gsr and i am thinking about going with a rev hard turbo kit. The motor has 90 thousand miles and runs great. i was just wondering if the turbo idea was ok. i dont have the money to blow my engine and i heard pushing 8 pounds of boost would be fine. Also were should i get the kit from and were should i get it put on at or just do it my self.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

get a compression check first to see if its safe to boost...better to be safe than sorry
Old 01-27-2003, 08:04 AM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

A compression check wont really tell you if its "safe" to boost. It will help tell you teh condition of the motor. And if that condition isnt to great, then boosting wouldnt be the best idea. What you need to do is find out how strong the bottom end is.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

I would go custom. It will end up costing you about the same as a kit (if you buy all NEW parts), but you'll get exactly what you want, rather than what the kit comes standard with.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 AM

how would i check the bottom end. also i heard that putting a kit together would only save me a couple hundred and a kit would be the best way to go.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Originally posted by Eight Grand
also i heard that putting a kit together would only save me a couple hundred and a kit would be the best way to go.
It's the best way to go....if you're too lazy to do the research to put together your own setup. Depending on the kit you are getting, it could end up being cheaper OR more expensive going custom. My point was that for around the same cost you have the option of getting every part that YOU really want.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:31 AM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

You wouldnt really open it up and look, you need to do some research. Find out what people who have done this before have been able to run with a stock bottom end.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:08 AM

does anyone know anoyone who has a gsr turbo with the stock bottom end.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

kenbdSi is a jewel in the roughkenbdSi is a jewel in the roughkenbdSi is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Skywalker
It's the best way to go....if you're too lazy to do the research to put together your own setup. Depending on the kit you are getting, it could end up being cheaper OR more expensive going custom. My point was that for around the same cost you have the option of getting every part that YOU really want.
Custom!