Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tuning a boosted b16

Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92gsrteg has disabled reputation
Default tuning a boosted b16

I have a obd1 integra gsr with a jdm b16a, all stock except its got gsr cams, fidanza flywheel, and exedy clutch. i want to boost the car in a month or so, nuthing drastic just enough to hear the turbo and blow off valve. just becuz i dont have the money to build it yet and i wanna build a b18. im just wondering what would be a good user friendly and cost effective program to tune with. i will probly have to get a new ecu becuase this one is currently tuned by crome and i hear its shit. thanks in advance for your opinions
Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered member

John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M John M
Default Re: tuning a boosted b16

Get a chipped p28 ecu and you can use crome but i would recommend hondata because you can tune a lot more precise with hondata.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you already have an ECU that is chipped (which it sounds like you do), you're set. The only thing that the tuning software does is make a new program to go into the chip. You can take the chip that is already in the ECU and reprogram it with a different brand of tuning software. That assumes the chip is a reprogrammable type. If it isn't, you just need to spend a few dollars on a new chip (or buy one from whoever tunes the car) to use with the new software.
Crome is pretty decent software, and it's free. If you want something with really good support, you'll have to pay for something like Hondata and Neptune.

Really though, it's all down to the tuner and how good they are at their job. All any Honda tuning software does is modify the stock program, and sometimes adds extra bells and whistles. They all do that job, but some are easier to use than others and some have more features, etc.

Talk to a tuner and see what they recommend. Most tuners have programs that they like and are very familiar with, and as soon as the car is tuned it really doesn't matter what software was used.

The ECU doesn't run Hondata, or Crome, or Neptune, it just runs a stock program that was modified with one of those software packages.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

thanks fab for your input. i really appreciate it. i might just stick with chrome since that is what it has already, if i have a laptop then is that something i could learn to work with myself? i want it to be user friendly. like i said its a stock motor and i bought it for 75 bucks, so if it blows i dont really lose out to bad so im ok with trial and error. i want to learn to do this kinda stuff myself cuz i belive in the end that would help me out finacially on future builds. this is only my second honda (former dsm then nissan guy) so i expect things to go wrong and stuff to break. its all part of the game.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You'll need a programmer to program the chips, and maybe an emulator if you want to do any programming in real-time. You can learn tuning, it's not hard. It just takes a lot of experience to get good at. And truthfully, you really need to do most of the tuning on a dyno; it's the only way to get consistant load and throttle control. You can't do that on the street.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 PM
ohh yea

integrab17 has disabled reputation

DAM ^^
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris

Originally Posted by Jarrod
LOL.

Jarrod is funny after all. Very nice.
Originally Posted by Captain JDM
You arent. Stop now.

Oh, and listen to Fabrik8.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-15-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Keep it on track guys
Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

ok i have the turbo kit(turbo, bov, wastegat, manifold, downpip, intercooler, piping, oil cooler, aluminum radiator, dsm blue top injectors, injector box, slim fan, all clamps and cupplings). is there anything else recomended to boost a b16? car allready has a new excedy clutch and fidanza flywheel. what about like a 3 bar map sensor? i hear people talk bout them dont really know much tho. this is my first boosted honda. other turbo cars i had where either factory except for my ka-t 240. but that was already boosted when i got and and it blew up so got sr swapped
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Racetracks

I'm assuming you have oil and drain lines for the turbo if you got a kit. A 3 bar MAP sensor would be fine, and your tuner can set the ECU program to scale for the larger MAP pressure range. You could choose a 2 bar or 3 bar sensor depending on the boost range you're looking to use. A 2 bar will read up to 14.7 psi of boost, and a 3 bar will read twice that. I recommend going with the sensor that is closest to the range you need, for reasons of accuracy and dynamic range. So for example if you're going to run 10 psi boost, don't get a 3 bar sensor because the output of the sensor will be too small over the range you need, making it less accurate and more likely for small pressure changes to get lost in noise.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Registered Member

thank you fab. that answer help alot im only running 8-10 psi (stock motor) so i will be getting a 2 bar. anything else you reccomend?

Quick Reply: tuning a boosted b16