Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tuners: Please Help!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tuners: Please Help!

I just arrived back in town, and got to play with my freshly re-built DSM that I raved about a few weeks ago on this site. I've got 660cc Injectors and a Walbro 255, along with a B16G sitting in the garage... just WAITING to get dropped in. I've never really needed a tune until now, as what I am dropping in will cause me to run WAY rich or lean, and I never took the time to educate myself on it.

What I ask of you is what I need in order to BRING the car to a tuning shop and get a good tune. I've heard of all the piggyback's and standalones, but I want some professional opinions. All I can provide for you is that the car has an EPROM ECU (1995 Talon TSi AWD) and it is infact NOT socketed for DSM. I'd be satisfied with something cheaper, like an Apex'i Neo SAFC. Thoughts?

Thanks to ALL of you in advance.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:23 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tuners: Please Help!

Hit me up on AIM. DSMs are my specialty.

nevermind, I just looked at your profile.. already did.. haha

As I said before, the car is tunable with an AFC no problem. However, since you have a EPROM, DSMlink is only going to cost you a few hundred more and be WELL worth the extra money. Tuning with DSMlink is MUCH easier than AFC, and you get a lot more features as well. Your best bet would be to pull the ECU and send it out for DSMlink and pop it back in when it comes and bring it in for the tune.

Last edited by HighPSI TSi Guy; 04-11-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Banned

Thanks so much Dave, I appreciate it. I suppose I should save up for Link. My question is, however, do I need ANYTHING else, if I were to get an AFC? Can I literally purchase one and bring it to you? By harder to tune - do you mean time consuming? Or I won't achieve as much power with the device. Please clarify, as I plan on taking the next step and purchasing something tonight.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iBoost
Thanks so much Dave, I appreciate it. I suppose I should save up for Link. My question is, however, do I need ANYTHING else, if I were to get an AFC? Can I literally purchase one and bring it to you? By harder to tune - do you mean time consuming? Or I won't achieve as much power with the device. Please clarify, as I plan on taking the next step and purchasing something tonight.
AFC tunes fuel and timing maps by altering the airflow signal from the MAF. It does nothing more than that. It works to a point, but is not ideal. DSMlink allows fuel and timing to be tuned independently, also adds anti-lag, 2-step (launch control), flatshifting, solenoid controls, idle controls, and several other features. It also includes a datalogger that is way better than any other 2G datalogger. The feedback from the datalogger and the extra abilities of the DSMlink just make it easier to tune due to increased control over the car's operation. With the AFC you're limited to whatever tune turns out to be the best medium between multiple variables. It is easier to make power on DSMlink, and it's well worth the extra $300 over the AFC. If you take into consideration the cost of a pocketlogger, then it's really only $150 more. The benefits are definitely worth it. Either one can be purchased and brought to me. You don't need anything else to go with it. Also the AFC has to be wired in whereas the DSMlink is just a matter of unplugging your ECU and sending it out and then waiting to get it back and plugging it back in, then rolling straight to get tuned.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Well, I'm sold. Do you have personal experience with the people at DSMLink in MD? If I were to send it out on Monday when would I get it back? Thanks again, Dave.

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
AFC tunes fuel and timing maps by altering the airflow signal from the MAF. It does nothing more than that. It works to a point, but is not ideal. DSMlink allows fuel and timing to be tuned independently, also adds anti-lag, 2-step (launch control), flatshifting, solenoid controls, idle controls, and several other features. It also includes a datalogger that is way better than any other 2G datalogger. The feedback from the datalogger and the extra abilities of the DSMlink just make it easier to tune due to increased control over the car's operation. With the AFC you're limited to whatever tune turns out to be the best medium between multiple variables. It is easier to make power on DSMlink, and it's well worth the extra $300 over the AFC. If you take into consideration the cost of a pocketlogger, then it's really only $150 more. The benefits are definitely worth it. Either one can be purchased and brought to me. You don't need anything else to go with it. Also the AFC has to be wired in whereas the DSMlink is just a matter of unplugging your ECU and sending it out and then waiting to get it back and plugging it back in, then rolling straight to get tuned.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by iBoost
Well, I'm sold. Do you have personal experience with the people at DSMLink in MD? If I were to send it out on Monday when would I get it back? Thanks again, Dave.
Yeah I've dealt with them, they are good people, but I have no clue on turnaround time, it varies by day. You'd have to call them.