Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Trans flush question

Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jay357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans flush question

I drove the car up to Merchants tire this morning to get the tranny flushed because the fluid looked way overdue. I ask the manager if he is gonna be able to get Type T-IV atf since it is sunday and toyota is closed. I also told him I would spring for the extra money if he could get amsoil atf since, those are the only two atf's, I know of that are compatible with the car. The manager tells me he is not positive but will not empty the old fluid untill he is sure....so two hours go by and he calls me back and tells me that they are almost done. I ask if he had a problem finding the fluid and he says they used dexxron and an additive that brings the dexron up to lexus specs. I am assuming he used something like this...

http://rstraussauto.com/transmission_additives.htm

This is not exactly what I asked for. I dont really want this in my car. Does anyone have any expierience with this. Should I just buy some type T-IV and have them flush it again tomorrow? What is everyones thoughts on this. This is why I hate using an unfamiliar mechanic.

1997 sc400
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey
Default Re: Trans flush question

Moved to tech.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay357
I drove the car up to Merchants tire this morning to get the tranny flushed because the fluid looked way overdue. I ask the manager if he is gonna be able to get Type T-IV atf since it is sunday and toyota is closed. I also told him I would spring for the extra money if he could get amsoil atf since, those are the only two atf's, I know of that are compatible with the car. The manager tells me he is not positive but will not empty the old fluid untill he is sure....so two hours go by and he calls me back and tells me that they are almost done. I ask if he had a problem finding the fluid and he says they used dexxron and an additive that brings the dexron up to lexus specs. I am assuming he used something like this...

http://rstraussauto.com/transmission_additives.htm

This is not exactly what I asked for. I dont really want this in my car. Does anyone have any expierience with this. Should I just buy some type T-IV and have them flush it again tomorrow? What is everyones thoughts on this. This is why I hate using an unfamiliar mechanic.

1997 sc400
Simply do not accept the work performed, until they change it to the correct fluid. You specified, at time of drop-off, that they were to use one of two fluids, that are warrantied and compatible. Inform them that the level of work and quality of the materials used is not acceptable, that is not what you asked for or agreed to, and do not accept it until they put the right fluid in it!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

However, carry the fluid with you, as they won't hunt it down, and do not carry it.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

ethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond reputeethan82000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HondaRules!
Simply do not accept the work performed, until they change it to the correct fluid. You specified, at time of drop-off, that they were to use one of two fluids, that are warrantied and compatible. Inform them that the level of work and quality of the materials used is not acceptable, that is not what you asked for or agreed to, and do not accept it until they put the right fluid in it!
agreed
Old 04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

jay357 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly what I decided to do. The only thing that sucks is that they cant get the fluid untill tomorrow morning when the dealer opens, so now they have to keep the car overnight. I guess Im just glad they didnt bullshit me and say they used the type t-iv.