Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tranny or Clutch?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ntenc1 has disabled reputation
Default Tranny or Clutch?

The problem I'm having is when I relelease the clutch to take off I have a rattling. It's not a grinding sound, def a rattle. It shifts smooth throught the gears no grinds going into the gear. It happens after I'm in gear and accelerate. Also when I down shift without raising the rpm's up.

I think it's possibly a throw out bearing! It goes away when I push the clutch in. What do you think?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

oxidejunky has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tranny or Clutch?

i would say its either loose springs in the clutch disc or weak ass fingers on the pressure plate so pretty much just buy a clutch kit Also are you sure u dont have a loose heat shield on the exhaust. does it make the rattle at a idle sitting still with the clutch is out and go away when the clutch pedal is pressed or only while driving?

Last edited by oxidejunky; 08-28-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Sounds like throw out bearing but it shouldnt make a noise when driving since it is firmly pressed against the pressure plate. Sounds more like something loose such as having the pressure plate rivets start to snap from torque. Can also be if the clutch is worn down to its rivets and they are what is being applied to the flywheel.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

I would pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the tranny and check for transmission fluid leaking into the bell housing. It sounds to me like your input shaft bearing could be going bad which would cause it to wear the seal out and leak fluid into the bell housing. This has happened to me before with the same symptoms.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

ntenc1 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ITRyan
I would pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the tranny and check for transmission fluid leaking into the bell housing. It sounds to me like your input shaft bearing could be going bad which would cause it to wear the seal out and leak fluid into the bell housing. This has happened to me before with the same symptoms.
That's what one of my friends told me as well! I think the next none rainy day I have I will check this. If it was a broke finger from the plate or spring
from the disc. The clutch would have been destroyed by now right? The clutch grabs really good chirping all gears, but 5th! It seems to really happen in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I guess with more torque apply?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Ninja11 has disabled reputation

wow this helps me... my car rattles when i go into first gear, it could be my clutch because its 12 years old and on the same clutch... sorry for jacking your thread but it might be me problem even though my car still drives fine.