Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tranmission problems... question..

Old 01-19-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
falling animals is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Tranmission problems... question..

.. my 96 Eclipse GS is making a small grinding noise when switching into 2nd.. it feels as if I have to put the clutch down further now.. sigh I'm not sure if it's the clutch.. or the synchros in the transmission.. any help would be appreciated.. pity me ;/
Old 01-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like crankwalk to me....
(Attention Heat: This is a joke)

honestly, sounds like a synchro problem to me
Old 01-19-2003, 08:15 PM
A.P.E.

385LT1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tranmission problems... question..

Originally posted by falling animals
.. my 96 Eclipse GS is making a small grinding noise when switching into 2nd.. it feels as if I have to put the clutch down further now.. sigh I'm not sure if it's the clutch.. or the synchros in the transmission.. any help would be appreciated.. pity me ;/
if it was the clutch, the problem would occur in any gear....

each gear has synchronizers to bring the oncoming gear to the correct speed before engaged.

with that...... switching gears and getting a grind.... could be synchros, if it does it in only one gear.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:06 PM

falling animals is an unknown quantity at this point

crankwalk sigh.. don't scare me with that shit.. which sometimes i wonder with my 4g64.. but you know.. too bad i got something like that earlier... had to replace clutch and ball bearings.. but that's another story..

yea thanks, i was thinking it was the synchros too.. just happens in 2nd.. now i'm wondering if it is a major problem, cause it still goes in gear.. and how much it might cost, i'm getting it looked at by a mechanic tomorrow morning in williamsburg, before i leave to go back to George Mason..

i'm new to cars and this forum..
Old 01-19-2003, 11:41 PM
got torque???

turbotwista turbotwista turbotwista

try this if you run something like redline or royal purple it might go away it did for me
Old 01-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by turbotwista
try this if you run something like redline or royal purple it might go away it did for me
Mine did too (thanks TT), tranny was alot smoother after the Royal Purple treatment.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:25 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

yeah Redline has done magic for me in the past.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:09 PM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clutch

You may find that some synchros line up easier than others, you may want to check the bleed pressure,, or cable tension, on your clutch. just a thought.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:15 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

redline mt-90
Old 01-20-2003, 07:42 PM
Registered member

rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166 rowe4166

where can you buy royal purple

Quick Reply: Tranmission problems... question..