Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Too much lag

Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Too much lag

Ok i just got my turbo d16 tuned and there is mad turbo lag on only 8psi.
The turbo is a turbonetics with the following specs:
turbonetics t3/t4 s trim turbo with stage 3 wheel
polished compressor housing
5 bolt flange
.48 a/r intake
.63 a/r exhaust
2.75" intake

Is this too big? Should i just go with a T3 with a .42 intake and a .48 exhaust?

Last edited by black6gen; 06-20-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Too much lag

how many lbs of boost does not have any factor in initial turbo lag, turbo lag is mostly caused by too big a turbo, to restrictive of an exhaust manifold, a poor tune or a slowly responding boost controller or wastegate, way too much rotating mass than your car is capable of handling(ex: heavy ass wheels,flywheel). i do personally think your turbo is a little big for a d16,theres not a whole lot of exhaust volume in honda motors in the first place, you step it down a notch youll noticed a difference, but you may sacrifice top end power. i personally have a little to big a turbo for my setup but im willing to suffer the slower spool time for the better performing turbo all the way through my rpm range.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 06-10-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

no i wouldnt go smaller...mines a d16z6, i have a 57 trim t3/t04e....i love it..mine spools fine....it doesnt spool until like 6000rpms in 1st gear....no complaints there from me..why would i want the bitch to spin in 1st....haha...but as far as alot of lagg....soon as i shift outa first....into 2nd....mines fully boosted. no lagg here..and if you doing a roll start..Brake Boost that bitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJfZPOpBII there is mine....spoolin fine, and that was with slippin clutch, couldnt slam her into gear.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

and bump that 2 inch exhaust up to at least a 2.5, you need that exhaust outta there as quick as possible. im running a 3 inch and full spool on my current setup is alot quicker than on my last setup with a 2.25 in exhaust.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Banned

whoa i didnt see that 2inch exhuast???? or you talkin turbo outlet is 2inch....haha.. if thats 2inch exhuast ouch...you better run that bitch open down pipe...lol. ive got 2.5 all way back...but i run it thru a stock cat to keep it quiet on the streets....and then open down pipe at track...and or weekends. makes a huge diff in spool time going frmo 2.5 exhuast.....to just open down pipe. But fuck goin to a smaller turbo man. that aint where its at...why would u wanna be spinning tires?? thats like the only advantage D series has....lol..turbo b series = instant tire spin..haha..
Old 06-10-2007, 09:51 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

Originally Posted by CivicGsr94EG8
whoa i didnt see that 2inch exhuast???? or you talkin turbo outlet is 2inch....haha.. if thats 2inch exhuast ouch...you better run that bitch open down pipe...lol. ive got 2.5 all way back...but i run it thru a stock cat to keep it quiet on the streets....and then open down pipe at track...and or weekends. makes a huge diff in spool time going frmo 2.5 exhuast.....to just open down pipe. But fuck goin to a smaller turbo man. that aint where its at...why would u wanna be spinning tires?? thats like the only advantage D series has....lol..turbo b series = instant tire spin..haha..

ill agree with you, id much rather have a slower spool time for the top end pull, i love my 3 inch, a bit loud but im going to put another resonator in, and he will definitely benefit from upping his exhaust, that 2 inch is choking that turbo. and im running 17's on my car with wider tires, i spin so much less then when i was running 15's, and im also running a less agressive pressure plate so the 1-2 shift isn ripping the rubber off as bad.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Re: Too much lag

I do have a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust. The measurement is refering to the turbo. Thanks for the input guys. I guess ill go ahead and stick with this one.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by CivicGsr94EG8
no i wouldnt go smaller...mines a d16z6, i have a 57 trim t3/t04e....i love it..mine spools fine....it doesnt spool until like 6000rpms in 1st gear....no complaints there from me..why would i want the bitch to spin in 1st....haha...but as far as alot of lagg....soon as i shift outa first....into 2nd....mines fully boosted. no lagg here..and if you doing a roll start..Brake Boost that bitch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJfZPOpBII there is mine....spoolin fine, and that was with slippin clutch, couldnt slam her into gear.
If you're not spooling until 6k in first, that's a fair amount of lag. The exhaust energy is changing too rapidly for the turbo to keep up with, which is why it spools better in second. So you're getting a good amount of lag, you're just trying to convince yourself otherwise. Wheel spin has a lot to do with driver skill. Reducing spool time so you don't have to have an educated right foot is a bit..backwards. Better tires help a bit too, and wider wheels with a lower aspect.

I agree with the others though, 2" exhaust is too small..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-10-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Banned

its spooling before 6000...just not full booost....I love how i tis..im not trying to tell myself anything or whatever u was saying...You do you. I do me. car has no lagg from a stop after 1st gear. so thats all im worried about. i see what you are saying...but thats not what im on nah meng. But black6Gen.....good thinking keeping the bigger turbo. look at all the D series turbo projects on youtube on the dyno...throwig down 400whp on 57trim turbos...fuck a small low end turbo. good choice