Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

TODA Vtec killer cams

Old 10-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
revn211 has disabled reputation
Default TODA Vtec killer cams

I was lookin at upgrading my cams and found the vtec killer cams by toda. The only problem is I dont think i fully understand how they work! Everyone tells me that they eliminate vtec- is this true? and if so what would be the point in using them? Also what compression range is best for these cams? I saw a video on youtube and the guy had 13.5:1 compression, does it really need to be that high! i would appreciate any info that yall can thorw my way. thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Default Re: TODA Vtec killer cams

BUMP
Old 10-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

im pretty sure they dont eliminate vtec

thats would be dumb on todas part. and your part for purchasing them

www.honda-tech.com
Old 10-06-2007, 03:01 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Basically your a novtec motor with big ass cams.

Lock the rockers all together.

On a street car you don't need them.

Get some Skunk2 Stage 2s or Pro1s and 12:1 pistons.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by dorko
im pretty sure they dont eliminate vtec

thats would be dumb on todas part. and your part for purchasing them

www.honda-tech.com
Actually they do. You will need high compression to run them to make up for the dynamic loss in compression and like Jarrod said they aren't going to be the best thing for a street car. The idle will be pretty shitty.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by revn211
I was lookin at upgrading my cams and found the vtec killer cams by toda. The only problem is I dont think i fully understand how they work! Everyone tells me that they eliminate vtec- is this true? and if so what would be the point in using them? Also what compression range is best for these cams? I saw a video on youtube and the guy had 13.5:1 compression, does it really need to be that high! i would appreciate any info that yall can thorw my way. thanks
Yes it does need to be that high maybe even higher like 15:1 and it has to be able to rev to at least 9500 rpms

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
Actually they do. You will need high compression to run them to make up for the dynamic loss in compression and like Jarrod said they aren't going to be the best thing for a street car. The idle will be pretty shitty.
Agreed

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Basically your a nonvtec motor with big ass cams.

Lock the rockers all together.

On a street car you don't need them.

Get some Skunk2 Stage 2s or Pro1s and 12:1 pistons.
Even with 12:1 compression on some skunk2 stage 2's your peak power wont be until above 6000 rpms. I had these in my stock bore GSR and with those cams/headwork/ 12:1 compression and a lightweight flywheel I was able to make 200 whp and that was when it was tuned with hondata by Jeff from Import Builders.
If you don't fully understand how vtec killer cams work then why would you consider buying them? Do you have endless amounts of money falling out of your ass? What do you have right now as far as mods go? What are your power goals?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:39 PM
braap braap

Originally Posted by split

Even with 12:1 compression on some skunk2 stage 2's your peak power wont be until above 6000 rpms. I had these in my stock bore GSR and with those cams/headwork/ 12:1 compression and a lightweight flywheel I was able to make 200 whp and that was when it was tuned with hondata by Jeff from Import Builders.
If you don't fully understand how vtec killer cams work then why would you consider buying them? Do you have endless amounts of money falling out of your ass? What do you have right now as far as mods go? What are your power goals?
Damn dude. Not talkin' shit but a friend did 200 with a 81.5mm 12:1 motor (gs-r) stock port head. Pro1s.

Shad was the tuner. How long ago was this?

I'm just tellin' the dude to keep it simple.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Damn dude. Not talkin' shit but a friend did 200 with a 81.5mm 12:1 motor (gs-r) stock port head. Pro1s.

Shad was the tuner. How long ago was this?

I'm just tellin' the dude to keep it simple.
This was 81mm 12:1 (gs-r)and port and polish from Abacus racing. I'm not talking shit either but before Jeff tuned it the most Shad could get with my car was 191 whp and that was 3.5 years ago. Shad has definately improved as a tuner as far as I can tell from dyno sheets other people have posted.

To the OP you need to answer the questions about your goals...you would probably even be happy with some "stage 1" cams. If your looking for gobs of power then all motor is probably not the road you want to head down. There is a wealth of information on honda-tech.com and I suggest you read for a few months before making a purchase, you'll thank me later.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

First off that is one reason why I am asking about them - so that I know if I should consider them or not (which i am not now cause i dont wanna put my compression up that hight)! Besides isnt that what sites like this are for? so that people can ask about products and get POSITIVE responses. And no I dont have money fallin out of my ass I just think if I am gonna put money into my motor and go inside then I should do it rite! after all you get what you pay for! As for mods and power goals- it is 81.5 mm gsr block with stock gsr rods and OS itr pistons, flywheel, clutch, B16A2 head with PNP, ferrea valvesprings/retainers, s2 IM with port match 68mm TB, v2 intake, bdl fuel rail and cam gears with stock b16 cams which I am wanting to change. my power goals are unknow really- i just want a good, reliable, DD n/a car. something fun but not to crazy. at first i was lookin at buddy club cams but then i saw the toda cams and figured i would ask because i didnt know exactly what they did or how they worked.

Yes it does need to be that high maybe even higher like 15:1 and it has to be able to rev to at least 9500 rpms

Agreed

Old 10-07-2007, 10:37 AM
braap braap

This was 81mm 12:1 (gs-r)and port and polish from Abacus racing. I'm not talking shit either but before Jeff tuned it the most Shad could get with my car was 191 whp and that was 3.5 years ago. Shad has definately improved as a tuner as far as I can tell from dyno sheets other people have posted.

To the OP you need to answer the questions about your goals...you would probably even be happy with some "stage 1" cams. If your looking for gobs of power then all motor is probably not the road you want to head down. There is a wealth of information on honda-tech.com and I suggest you read for a few months before making a purchase, you'll thank me later.
Word, good to see a OG posting up about Hondas. Most get away from them.

Originally Posted by revn211
First off that is one reason why I am asking about them - so that I know if I should consider them or not (which i am not now cause i dont wanna put my compression up that hight)! Besides isnt that what sites like this are for? so that people can ask about products and get POSITIVE responses. And no I dont have money fallin out of my ass I just think if I am gonna put money into my motor and go inside then I should do it rite! after all you get what you pay for! As for mods and power goals- it is 81.5 mm gsr block with stock gsr rods and OS itr pistons, flywheel, clutch, B16A2 head with PNP, ferrea valvesprings/retainers, s2 IM with port match 68mm TB, v2 intake, bdl fuel rail and cam gears with stock b16 cams which I am wanting to change. my power goals are unknow really- i just want a good, reliable, DD n/a car. something fun but not to crazy. at first i was lookin at buddy club cams but then i saw the toda cams and figured i would ask because i didnt know exactly what they did or how they worked.
Pick a tuner and tell him what you have done, then ask what cam he/she recommends. I had a friend with Edelbrock cams make 205whp on a 81.5mm Lsvtec. His mid-range was fucking awesome.

Last edited by Jarrod; 10-07-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: TODA Vtec killer cams