VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   tire question? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/tire-question-43547/)

mycivicdx 02-27-2004 02:21 PM

tire question?

I got new tires in January and have put about 500 miles on them and today while driving i heard this sound as though the tire was flat but i checked the tire and it looked fine and is at the correct psi. I did notice that the side the noise is coming from the tires front and back don't have those little weights on them. Do all 4 tires need the little weights on them or just 2 of them. The left side(front and back) have the little weights while the right side(front and back) don't have them and that is where the noice is coming from. It is not to noticeable while driving due to my exhaust but while coasting i can hear it. It doesn't really happen too much while turning either. Any input would be appreciated. thanks.

ToyotaTechGeek 02-27-2004 02:45 PM

Re: tire question?

what kind of noise? are you lugs torqued to factory specs? some tire/wheel combos will zero-out, so no, not all wheels/tires require weights.

TruckSS 02-27-2004 05:36 PM

all wheels require weight to balance them. zero out is what happens when they are balanced. the tires may had some wrong with them or something else is wrong. wheel weight will not make any sounds. balanced or unbalanced wheels will not made sounds. they will only make the steering wheel vibrate at high speeds. i would take it to a tire shop and had them check the tires wheels and front end (tie rod, ball joints,etc)

Neo Xian Wu 02-27-2004 06:15 PM

some tires do have bad road noise properties, but that's typically high performance tires. one of those comfort sacrifices.

ToyotaTechGeek 02-27-2004 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by TruckSS
all wheels require weight to balance them. zero out is what happens when they are balanced. the tires may had some wrong with them or something else is wrong. wheel weight will not make any sounds. balanced or unbalanced wheels will not made sounds. they will only make the steering wheel vibrate at high speeds. i would take it to a tire shop and had them check the tires wheels and front end (tie rod, ball joints,etc)

i don't agree. not in all cases. i've had Potenzas mount-up in three corners w/o getting ANY weights.

mycivicdx 02-28-2004 08:58 AM

the noise is a thump thump noise almost like a flat tire but the wheel doesn't shake and it doesn't feel weird to drive. I imagine that my lugs are to the right specs. The tires are potenzas and it is not the road noise from them because this is a different noise.

Woodrow 02-29-2004 04:44 PM

Just because you did not see a weight, does not mean they are not there. They could have static balanced the wheel(where they place the weight on the inside) or used a stick on weight. I static balance my wheels at work.

Some tires will have road noise. It's a bad quality with some tires that you have to deal with(some performance tires, and mud tires) but thats not always the case.

I would check your CV joints, and anything steering suspension related and go from there.

Neo Xian Wu 02-29-2004 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would check your CV joints, and anything steering suspension related and go from there.

mycivicdx 03-01-2004 01:41 PM

think it might be something with my brakes or rotors since i also hear it while braking?

Daft Punk 03-01-2004 02:24 PM

well i have Ventus HR2's on my car and them bitches are loud..........so it could be the tires.............or check to see if the wheels are torqued down right.......................my car also makes a loud hum when stopping..................but everything is fine.....................