Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tips for moving electrical pins...

Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 PM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default tips for moving electrical pins...

i'm attempting to relocate some of the wires in my ecu plug, but i've got nothing accomplished other than getting my ass kicked for the past hour. i can't seem to get the wires free from the slots on the plug... this is really frustrating, i've done it before on some ford vehicles with a small scratch awl type thing and that's what i've been using but nothing is seeming to work for me on this piece of shit. i only need to move TWO, but i can't seem to get either of them to come out. this is all i need to do to get my car running again, i refuse to splice the wires because i know there is a way to get the connectors out and i'm hoping someone on here has faced this before and can offer a little insight.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: tips for moving electrical pins...

Most Japanese cars have much better connectors that domestic cars. Many of these connectors have a secondary lock plate on them, which is snapped into place after all the pins are inserted into the connector shell. So what you most likely need to do is figure out how to release the secondary lock plate, it will usually raise right up or hinge out. There are a bunch of different styles of lock plates, and I can't see the connector you're working on. Anyway, if the secondary lock is still in place, the pins aren't going anywhere even if you release the primary lock from the front (like you're trying to do now).. There is usually one secondary lock per side if it's a two row connector. If it's a 3 row connector there is usually a plate that snaps in from the back, and secures all 3 rows at once. It's usually a different color for 3 row connectors because it's molded as a seperate piece.

Post a high res pic of the connector and I'll tell you what brand it is and how to release the lock.

I'm going to take a random guess and say you're working on a Nissan. Honda locks are easy to figure out just by looking at the plug, Nissans not so much. I'll bet it's one of the single piece ECU connectors with the retaining screw right in the middle of the plug. I'll have to have a pic, I don't remember what type of lock they have.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-04-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

i know what you are going through...

lol

good luck man
Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Most Japanese cars have much better connectors that domestic cars. Many of these connectors have a secondary lock plate on them, which is snapped into place after all the pins are inserted into the connector shell. So what you most likely need to do is figure out how to release the secondary lock plate, it will usually raise right up or hinge out. There are a bunch of different styles of lock plates, and I can't see the connector you're working on. Anyway, if the secondary lock is still in place, the pins aren't going anywhere even if you release the primary lock from the front (like you're trying to do now).. There is usually one secondary lock per side if it's a two row connector. If it's a 3 row connector there is usually a plate that snaps in from the back, and secures all 3 rows at once. It's usually a different color for 3 row connectors because it's molded as a seperate piece.

Post a high res pic of the connector and I'll tell you what brand it is and how to release the lock.

I'm going to take a random guess and say you're working on a Nissan. Honda locks are easy to figure out just by looking at the plug, Nissans not so much. I'll bet it's one of the single piece ECU connectors with the retaining screw right in the middle of the plug. I'll have to have a pic, I don't remember what type of lock they have.
you are absolutely right, and i appreciate the help. nissan sr20det ecu plug harness. i opened up the pin locker (as shown by the arrow in the pic), i just can't get the damn pin out.

i'm going to try to open up random other shit here in a sec, but any further insight would be great.

sorry for the blurry pic, i have no idea how to use my wife's camera.

that orange thing in the middle beside the retaining screw, what the hell is that? i tried to mess with it a little to see if it just happened to be some sort of lock but i got it stuck and don't know how to unstick it.

i don't understand why i can't find anything about this by searching nissan forums.

Last edited by blackout; 12-04-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Ok, sounds like you're on the right track. Once you've got the lock plate out of the way, you still need to release the pin from the front with an awl or pick or whatever. I like a long push tack, the ones that come in all the pretty colors. you know, for bulletin boards. If you look at the front of the connector, each of the pin positions has an opening for the mating connector pin and an opening for the extractor (pick, awl, whatever). I'm pretty sure those connectors are made by AMP/Tyco, just like the OBD1 Honda connectors, and should work great with a small pick. Push it in the top opening until it catches the ramp on the little lock lever, and then push it up while sliding the pin out at the same time. You've already got the lock plates out of the way, the rest should be really easy. I've done it hundreds of times..
I honestly have no idea what that orange thing is, it may be some sort of keying plug
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 AM
master debater

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Ok, sounds like you're on the right track. Once you've got the lock plate out of the way, you still need to release the pin from the front with an awl or pick or whatever. I like a long push tack, the ones that come in all the pretty colors. you know, for bulletin boards. If you look at the front of the connector, each of the pin positions has an opening for the mating connector pin and an opening for the extractor (pick, awl, whatever). I'm pretty sure those connectors are made by AMP/Tyco, just like the OBD1 Honda connectors, and should work great with a small pick. Push it in the top opening until it catches the ramp on the little lock lever, and then push it up while sliding the pin out at the same time. You've already got the lock plates out of the way, the rest should be really easy. I've done it hundreds of times..
I honestly have no idea what that orange thing is, it may be some sort of keying plug
thanks a lot, i started messing with it again last night and thought i saw the little plastic tab, so i'm sure i'll be able to get it today when i get home. i just wasn't using the right tools apparently, the pick i was using may be a little too big to get in there and lift that tab.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 AM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

When I rewired the cluster in my Honda, I used a straightened paper clip, one of the big ones. Those seem to be the perfect size to push the little lock tab and the pin slides right out.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM
master debater

Originally Posted by taz757
When I rewired the cluster in my Honda, I used a straightened paper clip, one of the big ones. Those seem to be the perfect size to push the little lock tab and the pin slides right out.
i'll try it today, thanks.

i also found some precision screwdrivers that seem like they should work rather well.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Racetracks

Seriously, pushpins work excellent, they're sharp and really hang on to the tab..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
master debater

i don't think the pushpins i have at my house are long enough... i'll look though.

Quick Reply: tips for moving electrical pins...