Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

timing belt question

Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HMR Auto has disabled reputation
Default timing belt question

So i have a 97 Honda Civic sedan dx and i blew the motor last week. when i was pulling the motor out i removed the timing belt covr and found that the timing belt was broken. but after i blew the block i was able to (drive) the car off of the tow truck and into my driveway...??? if the timing belt was broken how is this possible. So my question is can a car drive without the timng belt. granted the car was not running properly but it at least moved! i was also thinking that i might have shredded the timing belt when i was turing the harmonic balencer when i had the head off??
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: timing belt question

You must not be looking at the timing belt, because the engine won't operate properly with a broken timing belt. Go learn what a timing belt does and it will make more sense.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

This is the third fail post from this kid in a week
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

so i guess i shredded the timing belt when rotating the crank shaft by rotating the harmonic balancer thats kinda wierd
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

the timing belt hooks around the cam gear.. when i removed the cover it was broken and missing a piece in the middle.. so if i was able to move the car before taking the blown engine apart i am assumeing that i broke it by rotating the cam and crank after i removed the head off the motor.. so i learned my lesson. dont remove head and then start turn the motor over!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

or trying to turn over the motor with a socket on the harmonic balancer while having the head off..
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Peepee

Poopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these partsPoopoo is infamous around these parts

Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by HMR Auto
the timing belt hooks around the cam gear.. when i removed the cover it was broken and missing a piece in the middle.. so if i was able to move the car before taking the blown engine apart i am assumeing that i broke it by rotating the cam and crank after i removed the head off the motor.. so i learned my lesson. dont remove head and then start turn the motor over!
or trying to turn over the motor with a socket on the harmonic balancer while having the head off..

Wow, just wow.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:02 AM
typesb4thinking

nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3 nosediv3

WHY ARE YOU WORKING ON CARS
Old 08-14-2012, 05:28 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

so i guess i shredded the timing belt when rotating the crank shaft by rotating the harmonic balancer thats kinda wierd
You should stop

Quick Reply: timing belt question