Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Timing belt question

Old 11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default Timing belt question

I'll be doing more racing on a road course next year and trying to figure out if i should upgrade my timing belt or not. this happened after my last race

(fortunately it was right when i got home) and i'm not sure i should get something like a Toda timing belt or similar or just get an OEM Honda t-belt?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Timing belt question

Do you know how old that belt was before that happened? I'm assuming it's an OEM belt. Maybe it was just old and a little dry rotted or something and maybe just a new OEM belt would be fine, but I don't know how hard your going to be pushing with your racing.
Is this car going to be strictly a track car?
Old 11-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

dunno how old i was, should have changed it when i bought the swap, but funds were too low. Isn't going to be strictly a track car, but looking to do atleast one or two events a month next year
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

OEM should be fine, but whatever you get should be inspected fairly frequently for abrasion, etc. Most trackday cars that are used on the street use OEM timing belts without problems.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough

If budget is your main concern and your only planning on racing it once or twice a year, just replace it with an OEM belt. Do inspect it after every race just in case, especially if it's an interference engine. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
OEM should be fine, but whatever you get should be inspected fairly frequently for abrasion, etc. Most trackday cars that are used on the street use OEM timing belts without problems.
thanks...

Originally Posted by toyota_aristo
If budget is your main concern and your only planning on racing it once or twice a year, just replace it with an OEM belt. Do inspect it after every race just in case, especially if it's an interference engine. Good luck.
budget isn't my main concern, but potential doing 8 road course sessions and about 10 auto-x sessions next year, i just want to make sure i don't break anything. I was considering buying the Toda t-belt, but wanted to get opinions first. spending $175 on a Toda belt when an OEM belt would hold just as good wouldn't make sense. but i guess like Fabrik8 said, i should check it after every event

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 11-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Food for thought:

Anyone know off the top of their head what the timing belt is supposed to be replaced it?

I'd say figure that out and cut that in half and replace it at that mileage...
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Hondas, 70-90K AFAIK is the scheduled interval.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:07 AM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Not a single person I know that tracks regularly in a Honda is running anything other than OEM belts. Toda belts are for the people who cut their valve covers and expose their timing belts for the bling.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

thanks for the input, i'll just get another OEM belt