Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Time-Sert Head Bolt Holes VS. Source and Rebuild a New Block

Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Talking Time-Sert Head Bolt Holes VS. Source and Rebuild a New Block

Went to swap out my blown head gasket the other day. After taking the head off I notice some of the head studs had come loose a bit while unscrewing the nuts off the top. (I never locktited them in since I read it wasn't needed) This is where I think I fucked up. I should have taken the studs out, re-tapped the holes, re-lubed the studs, and re-tightened them. Instead I just tightened em back down with the allen wrench and moved on. I went to torque the head down I lubed the studs, the washers and the nuts (Yes bitches, I lubed the nuts, I'm a fuckin pro!) Torqued em all snug to 5 ft/lbs. Then torqued em to 60 ft/lbs in one step just like the instructions said. The second and third ones I did stripped out. I was using a NICE snap-On beam style torque wrench so I'm ruling that out. I really think I just should have chased the threads.

ANYWHO enough backstory, on to how to fix my fuck up.

My top two choices are source a replacement short block and rebuild it (I don't wanna use a used block without rebuilding it.) Or buy a time-sert head bolt kit for about $400 and time-sert all 10 bolt holes before locktiting the studs in there and being done with it. If I time-sert it everything I'm reading says it will be stronger than the original. I've heard from friends that a lot of race cars use them. But no one I know has PERSONALLY used them for head studs.

Then time-sert option is my preference so far. The local machine shop wants $275 to do all 10, BUT I have to take the motor out of the car. The local performace shop will do it in the car but they're telling me $300-$350. I fell like I might as well just buy the damn kit and do it myself if I go that route.

Anybody have experience with time-serts, specifically with time-serts in head bolt holes.

Last edited by burnoutboy; 10-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: Time-Sert Head Bolt Holes VS. Source and Rebuild a New Block

Looking to maybe get one of these

TIME-SERT Honda & Acura Head Bolt Kit M11 x 1.5 Part # 7111

and do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itxflsaw-QE
EXCEPT If I do it in the car like the time-sert video shows I'm gonna completely masking tape the deck and do it that way instead of using rags and hoping LOL.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:29 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Nobody?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

TimeSerts are very reliable, provided they are done correctly.

I do a few sets a year on NorthStars, and the price you were quoted is somewhat reasonable. You do not have to remove the engine though, so if you buy the set to do it you may save money on time, but thats purely up to you.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

Buy another ZC longblock.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Originally Posted by Dillweed
Buy another ZC longblock.
From who? You got one laying around? I oughta call Remo, he's got like 12 LOL.

Last edited by burnoutboy; 10-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
TimeSerts are very reliable, provided they are done correctly.
I do a few sets a year on NorthStars, and the price you were quoted is somewhat reasonable. You do not have to remove the engine though, so if you buy the set to do it you may save money on time, but thats purely up to you.
Watching the video I linked to, that Time-Sert themselves posted, it looks fairly easy. Maybe about about 10 minutes a hole(Thats what she said).

If I do it I'd buy the kit so I have the alignment plate, and the drill guide. If you're using the alignment tools and following all the instructions it can't be that hard to do it right can it??
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Bump for any other useful info???
Old 10-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

VIR EURORALLY has disabled reputation

We built a motor a while back. First time out the owner lifted the head and it stressed the hole for the fastener. From there a heli-coil was used and next time out same result. The time sert was then used and due to the stress from the previous damage and torquing the head down resulted in the block splitting.
A used block was sourced and rebuilt to spec of the motor that was in the car.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Originally Posted by VIR EURORALLY
We built a motor a while back. First time out the owner lifted the head and it stressed the hole for the fastener. From there a heli-coil was used and next time out same result. The time sert was then used and due to the stress from the previous damage and torquing the head down resulted in the block splitting.
A used block was sourced and rebuilt to spec of the motor that was in the car.
Did you use the big-sert kit you're supposed to use after a helicoil failure or just a regular time-sert kit?

Kit ordered. $392.37 P/N 7111

Quick Reply: Time-Sert Head Bolt Holes VS. Source and Rebuild a New Block