VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Thread repair (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/thread-repair-203909/)

EvolutionBoostin 09-14-2007 06:43 AM

Thread repair

The threads for an engine mount are stripped on my engine block. It's in a spot that's impossible to helicoil unless the motor is pulled, which I don't want to do. They're not extremely f'ed up, but enough that it worries me. Do you guys think that some JB Weld coated on the bolts will make them stay put?

CavemanRacing 09-14-2007 07:22 AM

Re: Thread repair

I wouldn't suggest JB weld. Can you get a picture of it?

drifterJERRY 09-14-2007 07:30 AM

do it right, drop the motor and whatever it takes to helicoil it.

jerry rig FTL

BAD4DR 09-14-2007 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by EvolutionBoostin (Post 3381276)
The threads for an engine mount are stripped on my engine block. It's in a spot that's impossible to helicoil unless the motor is pulled, which I don't want to do. They're not extremely f'ed up, but enough that it worries me. Do you guys think that some JB Weld coated on the bolts will make them stay put?

If it's a nick on the thread, run a tap through it. If the threads are really FUBAR, then definitely drop the engine and fix it right.

Fobby 09-14-2007 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by HondaRules! (Post 3381536)
If it's a nick on the thread, run a tap through it. If the threads are really FUBAR, then definitely drop the engine and fix it right.

agreed

EvolutionBoostin 09-18-2007 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by driveahonda (Post 3381405)
I wouldn't suggest JB weld. Can you get a picture of it?

Can't get a picture of it, but it's the DS mount bracket under the timing cover on a d-series.

I think I'll try my idea, if it doesn't work I'm only out a few dollars...then I'll set aside the time to drop the engine if needed.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Skuuu 09-18-2007 09:34 AM

Just drop the motor and put the tranny that I sold you in and do it right :)

RandomTask 09-18-2007 11:41 AM

Yeah, and have a bolt that would shear before it will ever come undone. . . do it right man, it sucks.

diggity dave 09-18-2007 11:49 AM

the jb weld is wrisky if the bolt holds then say a week from now you driving and the bolt comes out you could be out a cv axle and the timing gear will hit the motor mout and it will jump timing (Ive seen this happen) do it first the right time its only a single cam you can drop it in no time

EvolutionBoostin 09-18-2007 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hi Skuuu (Post 3391759)
Just drop the motor and put the tranny that I sold you in and do it right :)

Already put the tranny in, thanks for the deal man :)

Furthermore, I do not have the means right now to drop the motor, hence the jerry-rig. The motor is by no means at risk of falling out, or anything along those lines. Believe me, I'm all about doing things right, but that's not an option right now.