Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

is there any ford technicians in here?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ready4anewhip has disabled reputation
Angry is there any ford technicians in here?

I have an issue pertaining to the ignition switch it would not start the car. I took the ignition out of the car and it is not the problem because it works fine off the car. Sidenote, the Explorer is a 2001 2 dr.

Things that are going on, not locking into gear when off, steering wheel doesn't lock when u move the steering wheel back and forth with key out.

I removed the ignition, and the top plastic piece surrounding the steering column.

i have came to a hypothesis that the sliding mechanism inside upper and lower locking lever is not reaching the starter position to start the car..

any help would be appreciated, thank you.

here are the only diagrams i have found that can explain what i am referring to number 29 through 33 i feel is what i am looking at that pushes back and forth to start and stop the car..

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gal...7/Image_3_.jpg
Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Re: is there any ford technicians in here?

"Are", not "is".
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by ready4anewhip
I have an issue pertaining to the ignition switch it would not start the car. I took the ignition out of the car and it is not the problem because it works fine off the car. Sidenote, the Explorer is a 2001 2 dr.

Things that are going on, not locking into gear when off, steering wheel doesn't lock when u move the steering wheel back and forth with key out.

I removed the ignition, and the top plastic piece surrounding the steering column.

i have came to a hypothesis that the sliding mechanism inside upper and lower locking lever is not reaching the starter position to start the car..

any help would be appreciated, thank you.

here are the only diagrams i have found that can explain what i am referring to number 29 through 33 i feel is what i am looking at that pushes back and forth to start and stop the car..

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gal...7/Image_3_.jpg
Taken it to a dealership tech yet?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

needs a new column most likely...call johnsons...5458370...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Originally Posted by ready4anewhip
im slightly confused by what you took out of the car...

this is an ignition switch (pictured below)

this is an ignition lock cylinder (pictured below)

also, what do you mean it works fine off of the car? how did you test it? or what did you do to come to that conclusion?

if the lock cylinder was messed up it could cause most of that to happen, but so could the interlock. without looking at it, and having such little information everything its nearly impossible to diagnose fully.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

are
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ej1995
im slightly confused by what you took out of the car...

this is an ignition switch (pictured below)

this is an ignition lock cylinder (pictured below)

also, what do you mean it works fine off of the car? how did you test it? or what did you do to come to that conclusion?

if the lock cylinder was messed up it could cause most of that to happen, but so could the interlock. without looking at it, and having such little information everything its nearly impossible to diagnose fully.

yes both of those are not the cause of the problem usually if the ignition lock cylinder was bad it wouldnt turn at all, it turns the car to power it up but not to crank. when i pulled the ignition switch out from underneath, and pushed the lever up it starts the car fine and turns off when i pull it down. its something inside the column that doesnt connect all the way with the ignition switch
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

i wanna say it is the ignition switch locking actuator, but i can not make that decision until i pull the column down more.