Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

tech inspection question

Old 11-01-2005, 04:04 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default tech inspection question

my battery is in the rear, in a moroso box. i still need a damn emergency killswitch to pass tech don't i? and they probably won't be lenient considering it's an event (import vs. domestic) at a major track... i really didn't want to drop 120 on a battery just yet so hopefully someone on here knows tech rules pretty well and can give me a straight answer or i'm ordering one today.

also has anyone ever been given a hard time for a hole/crack in their coolant reservoir?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:10 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: tech inspection question

Yes you will still need a kill switch.

If the inspector is cool, he might let you get away with it as long as your engine won't start unless the clutch is engaged, but I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

I've never had them look at the reservior, but if you're dripping or leaking anything, they won't let you go.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

yep hes right. i tried running my crx at the track with a rear mounted battery and no kill switch and they said no matter what i needed a rear kill switch. as for the hole, as long as you arent leaking any fluids, you will be okay on that one
Old 11-01-2005, 06:20 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

ok cool thanks guys hopefully it will get here by saturday.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by blackout
ok cool thanks guys hopefully it will get here by saturday.
jegs or summit. summit gets shit here fast because they ship out of ohio.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:35 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

where are you mounting it? I've yet to find a good location for the kill switch.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 AM
master debater

Originally Posted by Carter
where are you mounting it? I've yet to find a good location for the kill switch.
na, i'm not trying to mount a kill switch for that exact reason, it will just look like shit no matter where you put it... i'm trying to hunt down a slim battery, off to jegs and summit right now. although just for this weekend i'm kind of contemplating taking over the keyhole for the trunk... i'll get back to you guys.

just for curiosity's sake, it could be any type of switch as long as it kills power to the battery, right? i may just end up doing the latter if i can't find a decent battery for cheap...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I have a 20 valve...

crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx

if you read SCC, they had an article a few months ago about rear mounting a battery. They used a honda I believe, but thats not the point- the battery they had in there (the name escapes me) could be mounted in any position but upside down. It was thin as hell probably about 3 inches wide by about 10 inches by 8 inches.

I'm gonna see if I can find it for you.....
Old 11-02-2005, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

the switch also has to kill power from the alternator. if they test it, the car has to shut off when the switch is flipped. simply cutting the battery cable won't do that. there are wiring diagrams around the internet for this.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:40 AM
master debater

ok, my panic has ended, i'll be able to run my car without putting it back in the front, and without scrambling to find and install a kill switch, as long as the tech inspectors don't sway from these rules (seeing as how i don't qualify for any of the classes i'm stuck with et bracket anyway)-

http://www.mirdrag.com/worldcup/wcflash/bracket.htm

having a kill switch is necessary for nhra and some scca events. i'm going to put the battery back in the front, either an oddyssey or dyna-batt (13 lbs, 3" wide) eventually, but it doesn't have to be by sunday. thank you all for your input.

also, carter- i did run into some good ideas for kill switch location. one was the license plate, just take it off when you go through tech. another was behind the taillight, which you could also take off when you go through tech.