Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Superchargers -vs- Turbochargers

Old 07-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Superchargers -vs- Turbochargers

I wonder how many times that post title has come up here... Anyways I've done my fair share of research and the only conclusion I can come to is that superchargers offer more power off the line, whereas turbochargers take time to spool up. (hmm...I think my grandma knows that) But if a supercharger is pushing out 8 or 9 psi constantly, and a turbo is pushing out the same (only a couple seconds later) then why does everyone I talk to want a turbo? Is it because they can offer up so much more boost? Or is it because of that damn blowoff valve. I'm just curious as to what the general thought about superchargers is around here. Me personally, I want a supercharger simply because I don't want reliability issues to deal with. And some constant pressure would be nice as well. I've never ridden in a supercharged car, so i really don't have anything to compare it to. Ideas? Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default Re: Superchargers -vs- Turbochargers

Sounds like you've already made your decision. Get the supercharger if that's what you want. They can make power, and lots of it.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

Any suggestions as to which brands make the "best" superchargers all around? Also, is fitment an issue? I have an LS in my EG hatch, some people at work have told me that a supercharger would have some clearance issues with the hood.

Last edited by hatch77; 07-12-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Soon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to beholdSoon2BeStangin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hatch77
Any suggestions as to which brands make the "best" superchargers all around? Also, is fitment an issue? I have an LS in my EG hatch, some people at work have told me that a supercharger would have some clearance issues with the hood.
Depends, what car?

Vortech and ATI I would probably recommend of anyone for most domestics.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

My 93 Civic hatch. But it has an LS under the hood.

Originally Posted by Soon2BeStangin
Depends, what car?

Vortech and ATI I would probably recommend of anyone for most domestics.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

I'm not going too far into it yet again, but unless you are pushing a huge god damn turbo that would hardly be streetable, then lag is hardly any worse anyway...you wouldn't notice enough to care because of the amount of air you can push more than being blown.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Quit your Bitchin...

diggum has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MerF

I'm not going too far into it yet again, but unless you are pushing a huge god damn turbo that would hardly be streetable, then lag is hardly any worse anyway...you wouldn't notice enough to care because of the amount of air you can push more than being blown.
A turbo is more tunable....which ever you prefer is the answer but turbo's just out perform. I like blowers but you just can't beat a spooled motor.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Motor Trend Mechanic

VT Prix GT 2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've ridden in both turbocharged (Lancer EVO VIII, Eclipse GSX, and lord knows what other random turbocharged cars) and only one supercharged car (high 12 second Grand Prix GTP). If I had the choice...and the extra cash, I'd go with a turbocharger. I'll explain my own personal beliefs:

Since a supercharger is belt driven, it basically kills horsepower in order to make it, causing the engine more strain just to spin the turbine. You are boosting as soon as you hit the gas, with a small enough pulley, you can be boosting at idle so its all there ready for you as soon as you accelerate. Only problem is, if you plan on building an all out drag or race car, a supercharger isn't the way to go. A supercharger will eventually hit a wall when it comes to how much boost you can push outta it. The only thing you can do with a supercharger is swap the pulley, given you have an adequate exhaust and an intercooler when the boost starts getting a lil high.

With a turbocharger, the sky's the limit when it comes to boost. With a well built and constructed turbo kit with a turbo size suitable for your car, you will experience little turbo lag, not enough so that it'd become an issue. It is more difficult to maintain a turbocharger and once the boost gets high, you should really invest in an intercooler. I personally would take a turbocharger over a supercharger, but either way, both provide good power and make a badass sound.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Cruising @ 8000ft

Thanks guys!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

do not...i repeat DO NOT s/c a ls motor

Quick Reply: Superchargers -vs- Turbochargers