Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sudden loss of compression

Old 12-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Currently N/A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EvolutionBoostin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sudden loss of compression

Anyone know what could make a perfectly healthy motor lose compression all at once while you're cruising at 45mph and just shut off and not start again?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: Sudden loss of compression

yeah, if for some reason it's not cranking at ALL. that is about the only way i could see you losing compression on all 4 cylinders at the same time on a motor that was running perfectly fine just moments earlier.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:08 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

oh yeah and if you havent already, check to make sure the timing belt isn't broken...
Old 12-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Currently N/A

Nope not timing belt... that was the first thing i checked. I'm really stumped here. I guess I'm going to have to break into the motor. It's cranking just fine, just has 0 psi compression across the board. The motors only got like 60k on it and i just installed it 2-3 weeks ago. Never been driven hard. I'm thinking head gasket, maybe floated valves since the head is dx wired for 7200 rpm. I only took it that high maybe 3 times though. Odd.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Bitches get Stitches

i dont think it sounds like a headgasket. car smokes like fuck until they totally go. have you cranked the car and sat there and watched the timing belt/cam gears to make sure everything is moving?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Currently N/A

Yes, everything is rotating properly. I even checked to make sure that all the valves are on time. I honestly can't figure out what else it could possibly be... if i broke a rod or something then i would still have compression in at least one other cylinder i would think. I dunno.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Bitches get Stitches

yeah, something is very fishy about that.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I can't think of what would make all cylinders do that simulateously, unless you somehow had a really lean condition and melted/puched holes through all the pistons.. Most things would cause headgasket-like symptoms, coolant leaks, etc.. Broken rods are usually very audible, and the other cylinders will behave fine. Valvetrain stuff is usually easy to spot,and will happen when it's being abused. Valves won't suddenly get bent or stuck at normal RPM, etc is what I'm trying to say.. If the timing belt is fine, not broken, and not off a few teeth, then that's strange.
If you haven't had the head off recently, this is really a stumper.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:13 PM

GULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond reputeGULLIE has a reputation beyond repute

check ur dizzy and make sure your getting spark, if thats good check and make sure your getting fuel and run a fuel pressure test if all thats good swap out a known good ecu and see if that helps
Old 12-23-2004, 07:48 PM
Bitches get Stitches

Originally Posted by GULLIE EG
check ur dizzy and make sure your getting spark, if thats good check and make sure your getting fuel and run a fuel pressure test if all thats good swap out a known good ecu and see if that helps
you are stupid. stop posting, really. he did a compression test and the motor gets no compression. NO SPARK WONT MAKE THE MOTOR NOT HAVE COMPRESSION.

i'm thinking you suddenly jumped like 4 or 5 teeth on the Tbelt somehow. i'd reset the timing belt back to TDC for sure and go from there.

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of compression