Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Subaru lubrication questions

Old 07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
The Rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo_Dreams
Default Subaru lubrication questions

Ok, this might be a retarted question, but can someone tell me how the subaru motor, or any boxer motor lubricates the bottom end. Possibly oil squiters?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Non Spelling Asshole

Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez Natchez
Default Re: Subaru lubrication questions

being that the "top-ends" are beside the "bottom end" ask Nasioc because Im not sure..
Old 07-07-2006, 09:30 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

i was going to put it on Nasioc, but i figured theyd run me out of the place for asking. My best guess would be some crazy oil pump or something like that
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm not sure what you're asking, this isn't any different than any other engine, it's got oil galleys, etc., that take care of the crank bearings. Oil passages in the block and head castings distribute oil to the bearing surfaces, just like any other engine. The closed deck Suby blocks have oil squirters (for cooling, not lubrication), but I don't think any of the others do. There are a lot of I4, V6, V8, etc., engines that have squirters for the same reason. As far as oil jets are concerned, it's no different squirting sideways than straight up, they just have to be aimed in a different direction.
The answer is that it's fundamentally the same as any other engine, I think you're making this a lot more complex than it really is. I don't understand about the crazy oil pump, why would that be needed?
I'm a little confused and can't quite follow your train of thought..
Old 07-09-2006, 01:03 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

i was wondering about a pump because iv never seen a scooby oil pan, are they somewhat shallow? And your right, i think im thinking too hard about this