Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

stupid n00b b005t ???s

Old 11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
This is going to spo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1
Default stupid n00b b005t ???s

let's just say, (hypotheticaly speaking, of course) that my "friend" was bored with his Integra. He wasn't having much luck selling it, and didn't really want to anyway, so he was considering putting a revhard stage2c turbo kit on it. I told him that he would need/want:
1)oil cooler/radiator other cooling mods
2)3 inch exhaust
3)some sort of stand alone
4)injectors/FPR
in addition to the revhard kit in order to run for 25-30 minutes straight at 7-10 lbs of boost reliably on the stock bottom. I don't know shit about boost or turbos, so did I rembember everything?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:28 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

lower compression or different internals?

just a guess since I don't know much about boosted c5s
Old 11-28-2002, 05:32 PM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

cats are running 7-12 lbs on stock c5 bottom all day...
it's the 25-30 minutes at a time that has me concerned..
changeing the pistons is not an option...headgasket? maybe.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:51 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

sure...thicker headgasket lowers compression, that's gotta help.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:00 PM

1stGenCRXer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tecnic1
cats are running 7-12 lbs on stock c5 bottom all day...
it's the 25-30 minutes at a time that has me concerned..
changeing the pistons is not an option...headgasket? maybe.
If you're really concerned about it, there's a few things you can do to help reliability.

First, run the minimum boost you can and still stave off the craving for more.

Second, consider water injection for the intercooler/radiator. The longer you stay in boost, the more heat you're going to generate, and that means more heat transfer over to the intake side. Go too far and the piston gives up, and you have an expensive paperweight.

Third, tuning is everything, and I'm not necessarily talking about tuning for max power. Get the thing dyno tuned and get a nice, safe [slightly rich in fact] fuel program, and make sure you have the ignition beefed up to the point that you will hit the lottery before it will ever mis-fire.

Lastly, monitor EVERYTHING you can possibly monitor. EGT, Cylinder Head Temp [CHT], Water Temp, Oil Temp, oil pressure, boost, Air intake temp [if you can], use a wideband O2 sensor with a data logger, and run a compression check on the engine frequently. Once you have everything monitored, learn where the engine's natural midranges are on the street, and decide what is the absolute highest you'd ever allow it to go on any of those readings. For track time, keep a close eye on the guages on every straight, or have your passenger do it for you, if something goes amiss for even a second, call it a day, and it will be highly probable that the car will still get you home.

BTW, hi everybody, I'm back
Old 11-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Just a 1.3 Liter

GreyGT-C is an unknown quantity at this point

big ass I/C with ***PROPER*** ducting... duct your oil coolers properly.., a cooler w/ a shitty duct doesn't do anything. trust me here, RX7s are the hottest running thing on the track.you'll probably need to upgrade your fuel pump too. Go for overkill on the injectors.tune to the rich/safe side...You don't need maximum power out there, you do need reliable however. I don't know about the H2o sprayer...i've thought about doing it as well, but if you run out....you just lost your margin of error that you were depending on. that all i can think of in my state of turkey-induced-coma

Last edited by GreyGT-C; 11-28-2002 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:22 PM

1stGenCRXer is an unknown quantity at this point

Right, for water spraying you need a good 2.5 or so gallon tank in a secure location, and really only use it on straights when you'll notice a rise in temperatures across the board, and obviously do a lot of experimentation ahead of time to figure out your consumption rates, etc. Ideally you want to not have to use it, but you also want it to work well and long enough to use continuously if that's a major issue.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:39 PM
aznRay...

yeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

yea.......if u are going to run stock boost on that c5 it should be alright. that revhard kit should provide u everything u need for a pretty good setup.

one thing that concerns me is that the revhard kit comes with a t3/t4 turbo running, i guess around 7-8psi. i really dont like the t3/t4 on a c5. plus the fact that the c5 has that damn 10:6:1 compression. i personally definatly wouldnt go over that stock boost on stock internals. thicker headgasket, yea is a good idea. acutally im selling my inline-pro 3mm headgasket for the b18c5, inline-pro claims they lower the compression a full point. brady from custom car care told me that i wouldnt need it right now since im only running stock 5.5psi on my charger. if i sell this one, im going to rebuy one in the future when i try to run 8psi and with better fuel management.

just my opinion, if i was to turbocharge my R, i would go with a greddy turbo for gsr with intercooler, and get the piping modded to fit the R, which should be only the upper charge pipe. ditch the greddy blue box and use a different fuel managment unit, and run stock 7psi boost all day long with the headgasket. u wont get the top end power like the t3/t4 but u'll get faster spool up and u'll be making full boost sooner.

just my 2 cents
Old 11-29-2002, 09:07 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

yeah..a fuel pump is included with the revhard kit..
I like the t3/t04 kit, cause from what I've found so far, the t3 is not efficient past about 6K rpm, which is obiviously inadaquate for "his" purposes..
I don't like water sprayer. I don't like adding an extra 25-30 lbs to my car, and I don't like counting on it to keep the engine together. It would seem that with proper tuning, it would be unnecessary.
I was also thinking....what about stock B20 bottom? they are cheap, and it it shits all over it's self, I still have the option of putting the stock engine back in and not lose the car for any extended amount of time..How much boost can a stock B20 handle?
Old 11-29-2002, 09:14 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

BTW......whay does it seem like there is a lot of shit missing from this kit

Quick Reply: stupid n00b b005t ???s