Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Stuck Distributor

Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VernonZ is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck Distributor

Make: toyota
Model: Camry
Year: 85
Engine/Modifications in relation to the issue: Stock
Issues/Questions: I can't get the distributor out.
Failed solutions until now: I have removed the vacuum lines, the cap, spark plug wires and the hold down bolts. I can, with a lot of effort twist the distributor clockwise and counterclockwise but cannot get it out. I've tried spraying the base with penetrating oil but nothing yet. What's next ?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Stuck Distributor

Have you removed the distributor cap to see if there's any other fasteners underneath? I'm assuming that's the standard style distributor that just has two slotted ears to mount the assembly to the engine or whatever?
Old 07-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Have you removed the distributor cap to see if there's any other fasteners underneath? I'm assuming that's the standard style distributor that just has two slotted ears to mount the assembly to the engine or whatever?
Yes I removed the distributor cap and there are no more fasteners beneath and you are correct this is a standard distributor with two slotted ears. I've read about people using a crow bar but I don't want to break anything.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by VernonZ
Yes I removed the distributor cap and there are no more fasteners beneath and you are correct this is a standard distributor with two slotted ears. I've read about people using a crow bar but I don't want to break anything.
It's a distributor. there has to be a more easy way to address the issue. I 'm sure the factory installed it without just "jamming it in there", look for clips, screws/bolts, something, that doesn't require using a crowbar to remove a simple, basic part.

It's like saying I need a jackhammer to remove my air filter.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TATTRAT
It's a distributor. there has to be a more easy way to address the issue. I 'm sure the factory installed it without just "jamming it in there", look for clips, screws/bolts, something, that doesn't require using a crowbar to remove a simple, basic part.

It's like saying I need a jackhammer to remove my air filter.
Thanks for your help. I will look at it again.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:10 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The only thing I could think that would cause a problem is if there is a O-ring seal on the shaft that leaked and got oil behind it with no exit hole, so you might have a hydrolocked cavity. It should still come out though.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The only thing I could think that would cause a problem is if there is a O-ring seal on the shaft that leaked and got oil behind it with no exit hole, so you might have a hydrolocked cavity. It should still come out though.
It does have an o-ring on the shaft. Just use a decent flat blade screw driver and pry a little. It will come right out.