Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Strange Electrical Problem

Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2
Default Strange Electrical Problem

I was working on my CRX the other day and left a wrench on the valve cover. The wrench worked its way down and fell onto the battery and shorted and then immediately fell down under the car. After the short my main relay has been clicking very rapidly and I cannot start my car. I have tested the main relay and checked visiually and it seems to be fine. In addition to the main relay when i turn the key the CEL light comes on very dimly and blinks rapidly with the main relay.

In addition to testing the Main relay I checked it for any dry joints or other problems. I also Sanded/cleaned all my engine grounds including the Thermostat grounds. I also checked the main fuses in the engine fuse box visually and tested them for continuity. Any fuses that looked even a bit suspect were changed out as well.

I am at a loss right now as to what this could be any help would be great.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Al_P has disabled reputation
Default Re: Strange Electrical Problem

This may sound too obvious but have you tried jumping it, its a classic symptom of dead battery. Same thing has happened to me before with no negative consequences but you may have damaged the battery in some way.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check the battery voltage. You might have destroyed your ECU though.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

I have checked the battery with a multimeter (12.93V). And I did get the car to start last night by putting a jumper to the Main relay Ground and connecting it to the body. For some reason there is no ground for the main relay and I cant find where that ground is located. Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Registered Member

Al_P has disabled reputation

Fabrik is right about fried ECU, its very possible. But ECU is not required for engine to crank. its purely ignition switch/batt/starter circuit. Which makes the description confusing....at first you stated car did not crank and now you are saying that you jumped ground side of main relay...this still does not explain why car did not crank the other day. Or am i missing something. Also the battery can have normal voltage but amount of amps it is able to deliver to crank the engine may not be sufficient.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Registered member

Sorry If I was being confusing I appreciate the help. Ill try and clarify. When i turned the key before the main relay was "fluttering" or clicking rapidly and was not getting a good ground. when i attached a jumper wire from the ground on the main relay to the body it would start. So right now I have to fix that ground wherever it is located on my car. Right now the car starts and I just found out that my friend sold me 550cc injectors accidentally so im hoping that is what is causeing it to run rich. I still have a CEL code 7 which is the TPS. I have swaped out the TPS with a working one already and still have the code. Ill update when I can get some 240cc stock injectors.