Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sticky clutch

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audiophile24 has disabled reputation
Default sticky clutch

lsvtec boosted only 216 torque
when balls deep in the throttle bangin gears the clutch sticks
act stage 3 6 puck unsprung
fidanza 7lb flywheel
not much abuse on clutch but has had its fair share
clutch does not slip when driving normally
was told it could be the brake fluid heating up in the slave cylinder causing the slave to stick open
the dump tube comes close to it but does not dump directly on it.......anyone else heard of this issue?

Last edited by audiophile24; 06-10-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered member

mondyva has disabled reputation
Default Re: sticky clutch

you could try bleeding the system and putting fresh fluid back in, or get a new slave cyl if that doesnt work
Old 06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mondyva
you could try bleeding the system and putting fresh fluid back in, or get a new slave cyl if that doesnt work
was told i could get dot 4 fluid and try that but i will change fuid again (i have to fuck with that damn vacuum pump again)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm not sure how you could heat clutch fluid enough to do that. It's not like the slave cylinder is acting on the clutch surface like a brake caliper does on a brake rotor. New fluid is always a good thing, but I don't think that's the cause of the problem and I definitely don't think you could boil fluid in your slave cylinder.

So is the clutch staying engaged or disengaged, or is it just lagging a little longer than you want? It could be something as simple as friction on the throwout bearing, which would only cause problems when moving fast or changing direction really quickly.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I'm not sure how you could heat clutch fluid enough to do that. It's not like the slave cylinder is acting on the clutch surface like a brake caliper does on a brake rotor. New fluid is always a good thing, but I don't think that's the cause of the problem and I definitely don't think you could boil fluid in your slave cylinder.

So is the clutch staying engaged or disengaged, or is it just lagging a little longer than you want? It could be something as simple as friction on the throwout bearing, which would only cause problems when moving fast or changing direction really quickly.
the clutch would not work yesterday to put the car in fourth after a 2nd and third gear pull mashed the clutch to the floor and nothing....the pedal was stuck halfway.....and after pulling over for a few minutes the clutch worked fine...
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

As stated, lubricant issue. Put high temp grease on the input shaft and throwout bearing, clutch fork pivot points, and the slave cyl. pivot point.