Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

STI Trani in Regular WRX

Old 03-23-2005, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saav has disabled reputation
Default STI Trani in Regular WRX

Anyone around done this yet? Found a decent price on one but with all the extra parts i figure i'm goign to need to mate it up... well its still not looking pretty.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX
Default Re: STI Trani in Regular WRX

i was thinking about it but it's not worth the effort in my opinion. Your going to need the 6 speed tranny, new clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, rear diff(preferably axles and brakes since your already this far into it), a wiring harness and switch if you want to use the DCCD, an ST-i shift linkage and shift knob and some tranny mounts. I stripped out first gear in my WRX tranny and when i was talking to the dealership they were talking about a new OEM 6sp(thats not the current ST-i tranny) but it was 7K from Subaru. FUCK THAT. If your looking for a stronger transmission you can build up a 5sp thats just as strong for less than a conversion. Also if you plan on drag racing the car i wouldn't even worry about a 6 speed. When the ST-i's were first being tested against the EVO's they ran slightly slower 1/4 times because of the 6sp vs the 5sp. The ST-i had to shift one more time than the EVO did and that can cause some loss in time.

i would just build up a 5 speed tranny. I actually still have my blown out transmission sitting in my garage if your looking for something to build up. Than you can just drop it in your car, or wait till your 5sp pops and than put it in.

Last edited by NEO_WRX; 03-23-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM

well i found a trani for the price of an RA gearset uninstalled... so i figure it might be fun. but yeah you are right that the gearing isnt set up for the quarter mile in the sti's, but then again i'm not dragging my car i just hear that they are pretty strong transmissions and thats what i'm looking for but I might def look into building up a spare for when i tear mine out.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

damn, finding an ST-i 6sp for the price of RA is pretty hard to believe. I'm not trying to call BS i'm just saying buyer beware. Where did the tranny come from? does it have any damage? and if it was pulled from a totalled ST-i it should have alot of the other parts to mate it to a WRX. You can even buy the tranny for dirt cheap and re-sell it to make some extra moeny. So if the deal is legitimate it might be something to look in to...but when something is too good to be true..it usually is.

Last edited by NEO_WRX; 03-23-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:37 AM

started calling up junkyards around the country... i figure alot of times they jsut dont know what they have. junkyards are great. but yeah first quote i got when i called the place up was 1700 so i figure these things are finally starting to fly off the road and junkyards dont know what to do with them.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:39 AM

this cat seems to have looked into all the options if anyone is interested...

ilivas
Member # 3745

posted 23 March, 2005 10:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bare minimum:

front axles
tranny
3.90 regeared diff
sti shift boot
sti shift knob
tranny mounts

most:

front & rear axles
tranny
clutch
flywheel
drive shaft
hubs
rear diff
dccd unit
dccd switch
dccd wiring harness
brakes
wheels that fit over breaks
sti shifter trim
sti shift knob
sti shift boot
sti gauge cluster
tranny mounts

What I did:

dccd wiring harness
dccd control unit
dccd switch
clutch
flywheel
shifter trim
shift boot
shift knob
3.90 regeared diff
front axles
tranny mounts

[ 23. March 2005, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: ilivas ]

--------------------
2004 Black WRX

More mods than you.

Turbo XS stage 4+++ with 18g, 600 cc injectors, STi 6 speed trans w/dccd,fmic yada yada yada and a bunch more stuff.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...313#post666313
Old 03-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4

although with STi tranny you have to shift one extra time opposed to a 5 speed, i heard that they were more efficient. i also seen some videos on how they pull up top, which is not a characteristic of an AWD car. Good example, the evo mr raced modded srt and the mr was stock and pulled him like hell, a stock SRT will walk on a stock evo so i guess that the ratio and other things in the 6spd trannies are different. Call me stupid if you want but that was just my two cents.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

The six speed sux if you have high HPdo to the fact as soon as you get into boost you have to shift, too short of gears! My honest opinion is keep the 5 speed and put in a gear set, you will be much happier! We have been messin with WRXs for 4 years now and the 5 speed works best for any racing enviorment, unless you are stock then the 6 speed works nice!
Old 03-24-2005, 08:32 AM

gear __ STI ______ WRX
1 _____ 3.636 ____ 3.454
2 _____ 2.375 ____ 1.947
3 _____ 1.761 ____ 1.366
4 _____ 1.346 ____ .972
5 _____ .971 _____ .738
6 _____ .756 _____ none
FDR ___ 3.90 _____ 3.90

STI vs6 RA
Gear Ratios:

First Gear 3.083
Second Gear 2.062
Third Gear 1.545
Fourth Gear 1.151
Fifth Gear 0.825

Type: 5-Speed Manual
1st Gear Ratio: 2.928:1
2nd Gear Ratio: 2.928:1
3rd Gear Ratio: 1.407:1
4th Gear Ratio: 1.031:1
5th Gear Ratio: 0.720:1
Final Drive Ratio: 4.529:1

SRT-4
Gear Ratios
1: 3.647:1
2: 2.045:1
3: 1.367:1
4: 0.947:1
5: 0.756:1
Final Drive : 3.526:1
Old 03-24-2005, 08:35 AM

I've def decided on a 5 speed i jsut need to figure out how i'm going to get one or weather i want to get some random gears and build one myself. just so much stuff to choose from. maybe i get some ideas talkign to people along the poker run!

Quick Reply: STI Trani in Regular WRX