Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Steel Wool? to prepare block for head gasket

Old 03-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kadafiz has disabled reputation
Default Steel Wool? to prepare block for head gasket

HEllO!!!!!

I am changing the head gasket on a ls/vtec with a GSR head..

I was wondering if I can prepare the block by using steel wool to get the copper spray and remains of some gasket off.. I feel it should be fine except steel wool tends to leave some particles behind so I don't know if that can cause leaks and such later..

Another thing is should I use a OEM GSR head gasket or a LS head gasket? The LS Gasket has some rivets that block some holes but I feel it would seal better If I just pull the rivets out..

And how many coats of copper spray do you use on your gasket?

Anyone with exp please clear these noob questions up THANKS!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov
Default Re: Steel Wool? to prepare block for head gasket

The real question is why LsVtec?

Is it a stock bottom end?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Don't use steel wool. use a single-edge razor blade (carefully) followed by these things http://store.carcareonline.com/3msco...typad-6x9.aspx
Old 03-17-2012, 03:02 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

razor blade

gsr head gasket

/thread
Old 03-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

Steel wool is a bad idea. Using a razor blad is good for getting the left over gasket material off, but you still need to rough up the mating surface. I normally use an orbital sander on mating surfaces but not on the head/block surfaces. For head/block surfaces, I use a detailing wire brush. You simply need to scratch the surfaces. This is assuming your mating surfaces are perfectly flat.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

No on steel wool.

Yes on using a razor to clean off most everything, hold it perpendicular to the surface and drag it across to get the best results without gouging.

Yes on using a HAND ScotchBrite pad, I typically use a brown or red one to do final prep. NEVER use a Roloc disc, even with the bristles, on a block surface. Some can use them on other parts that can be cleaned well after the removal, but I do not allow them in my shop.

2-3 coats of CopperKoat is all you need, let it tack between coats. Basically, RTFM. I do not suggest removing the rivets.