Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Static and HIDs

Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ninja11 has disabled reputation
Default Static and HIDs

A few months back i bought some plug and play hids from the Movement HID guy. There good and work just fine. Ive got an old jvc cd deck in my car and its worked fine forever. I used to get static when my antenna plug would get loose and unplug itself, so i thought that was why i had been experiencing static. A few weeks ago i realized that when i turn my HID's off my static disappears. Im guessing that there is some interference or something happening with the hids, but i honestly dont know what to do. has anyone else had this problem? if so how did you fix it?

summary: i only get static on my radio when i have my HID's on.Why? is there a way to fix it?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I <3 BOOST

Iceman05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Static and HIDs

its an issue with the analog MOFSETS causing electrical interference. try a noise filter in between your antenna and deck.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Iceman05
its an issue with the analog MOFSETS causing electrical interference.
Ah, close enough.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

rexrunner rexrunner rexrunner

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Ah, close enough.
You crack me up fabrik .

Try putting some double sided tape on your ballast so that it does not touch any bare metal on your car.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's probably not the problem. The problem is that the ballast radiates electrical noise like an antenna. It's got a (switchmode) power supply in it that takes the battery voltage, switches it at some high frequency with FETs into a square wave, and steps the voltage up through a transformer. That's how the high voltage for the HIDs is created. The problem is that the transformer acts like an antenna, the FETs give off wideband EMF, and the whole process introduces switching noise on the power and ground wires.
A metal case for the ballasts can't stop EMF over the whole frequency range that is produced, so some can get coupled into the radio as either EMF or ground noise.

I can't say what exactly is causing the noise, but I'm going to assume that part of it is a poor quality radio receiver, part of it is probably a poor ground to the radio, and part of it is a poor quality power supply section in the radio.

This is really something that has to be dealt with through experimentation. Try changing where the ground on the radio is, make it as short as possible, and you could try isolating the ballasts with an insulating material (like double sided tape). It's a hard thing to troubleshoot without knowing what type of noise is actually causing the problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

ok thanks alot, ill take that into consideration and see what i can do.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:27 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation
Re: Static and HIDs

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's probably not the problem. The problem is that the ballast radiates electrical noise like an antenna. It's got a (switchmode) power supply in it that takes the battery voltage, switches it at some high frequency with FETs into a square wave, and steps the voltage up through a transformer. That's how the high voltage for the HIDs is created. The problem is that the transformer acts like an antenna, the FETs give off wideband EMF, and the whole process introduces switching noise on the power and ground wires.
A metal case for the ballasts can't stop EMF over the whole frequency range that is produced, so some can get coupled into the radio as either EMF or ground noise.

I can't say what exactly is causing the noise, but I'm going to assume that part of it is a poor quality radio receiver, part of it is probably a poor ground to the radio, and part of it is a poor quality power supply section in the radio.

This is really something that has to be dealt with through experimentation. Try changing where the ground on the radio is, make it as short as possible, and you could try isolating the ballasts with an insulating material (like double sided tape). It's a hard thing to troubleshoot without knowing what type of noise is actually causing the problem.
i think there should be a limit on how much one person should know.....you way over the limit buddy
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

haha he is a genius. i think whenever i make a tech talk thread i wait to see his resopnse before i do anything lol.