Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

This is SRS business

Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default This is SRS business

Okay, so at the shop I'm working at- we have an Autel scanner. I've been taking care of the small issues plaguing my 00' Z3M- and I'm now at the airbag light.

I went to reset what I had off the bat and got an error:

The errors:

ECU info:

I see code 11 is for the battery pyro. I had a glance at it and backprobed the plug. 1.4v at the connector. It's obviously never been fired- from what I can tell.

My question is- the F0 code, am I looking at replacing the module?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, the airbag computer in my car is part number 65778386192, which I have found was superseded by part number 65776908896. Anyone know why this is? Are these prone to failure?

Last edited by Kris.Is.Foamin; 05-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-
Default Re: This is SRS business

It's because you are tail humping the exhaust...........all bimmer owners stick their weiner in the exhaust to make the car happy.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's no use wondering why a part was superseded. There a lot of reasons why it happens, like a change of supplier, change of material, change of manufacturing process, add an extra hole for wider model compatibility, all sorts of other design changes, etc... If it's an '03 and you're looking for a currently produced electronics module, it's probably been superseded with a new software version or some change to the electronics design, or one of the major electronics components is now obsolete which requires some circuit board changes or circuit redesign. Sometimes it's to fix something or improve reliability, yes, but there are so many equally plausible other reasons that it's not worth pondering.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's no use wondering why a part was superseded. There a lot of reasons why it happens, like a change of supplier, change of material, change of manufacturing process, add an extra hole for wider model compatibility, all sorts of other design changes, etc... If it's an '03 and you're looking for a currently produced electronics module, it's probably been superseded with a new software version or some change to the electronics design, or one of the major electronics components is now obsolete which requires some circuit board changes or circuit redesign. Sometimes it's to fix something or improve reliability, yes, but there are so many equally plausible other reasons that it's not worth pondering.
I just need access to a factory scan tool, or the brain of a Bavarian motorhead who's seen this. Also, if I find a known good module, with the superseded number- can it be reprogrammed to my vehicle? I know it will not work plug n play.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

For some reason I can't see the pictures. Bookmarked to check this out @ the shop tomorrow.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 AM
Super Secret Agent

00 e36/8 = MRS III

I'd say it most likely needs a module. The MRS module is mounted in front of the shifter underneath the center console. Super easy to replace. Tightening torque on the bolts holding the module down is 7 ft/lbs.

I believe these modules can only be deployed 3 times prior to replacement so purchasing a used unit is a gamble.. The module will have to be coded using a GT1/Autologic or something of that nature.

Last edited by Archer; 05-17-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Fixed the pics- they should show now.

Archer- do you have access to a scan tool capable of this? Also, can a known good module be installed into another car- and reprogrammed to work? New modules ship uncoded, but cost around 670
Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Super Secret Agent

YARR THIS BE TOPIX

I use an Autologic scan tool on a daily basis. I've never installed a used module but AFAIK they are not VIN specific and can be coded to a new vehicle IF they are un-deployed.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

TAPIX CHEX YER PMZ
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Super Secret Agent

YEW HAZ SEXT