Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20DET Turbo Question

Old 11-02-2005, 07:13 AM
midnight motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minboostS13 has disabled reputation
Default SR20DET Turbo Question

Does anyone know much about the GT2871R .64 A/R ? Reason for asking, im trying to decide on injector sizes and cam specs. Also, i obviously wanna use a tubular bottom mount manifold. Im trying to decide on either a Top Speed manifold, Peak Boost, DC Sports or MR(megan racing). I just dont wanna go overboard and spend a fortune when i dont have to. Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 07:27 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: SR20DET Turbo Question

How much power are you trying to make and what are you trying to do with the car (drift, 1/4 mile, street, etc).
Old 11-02-2005, 10:47 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by blaxican25
How much power are you trying to make and what are you trying to do with the car (drift, 1/4 mile, street, etc).
let's take a look at the operative word- trying.

also he can't seem to make up his damn mind what his goals are, he's more concentrated on what parts he can throw at it. but if i were going to speak for him (which i have no reservations of), i would say he's aiming for ~450whp, and the fool will never do anything with this car other than drag racing.

shawn, you really should just fucking pick something and buy it. and where did you find a tubular bottom-mount? i thought all aftermarket manifolds for the sr were top-mount?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:03 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

There are tons of tubular bottom mounts out there.

450hp? That turbo will do it, but if you're trying to drag race, the .64 housing might give you too quick a spool and cause you to sit and spin.
Injectors would have to be at least 680cc,
As far as cams go, there are several to choose from, but the more aggressive they are, the less streetable they are. I've got JWT S4's (264 duration, .464" lift). You can go longer/bigger, but don't go less.
To make that power you'll also need:
Cobra or Z32 MAF
reflashed ECU (if you get a standalone, you should be able to omit the MAF as well)
cam gears
valve springs
titanium retainers.
intake manifold (probably)

You're looking at spending ~$4000 minimum for all that if you do the labor yourself, though.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

i don't know why he needs all this reaffirmed, he knows this already. he's just having a hard time deciding which turbo to get. he's that guy that stands in front of the new releases at blockbuster for 15 minutes and ends up not getting anything. i guarantee whatever is recommended to him, he'll find a reason to get something else, anyway.

i don't recall ever seeing a tubular bottom mount, my memory probably just sucks. why would you want a bottom mount over a top mount? wouldn't it heat soak the turbo more?

also, tim are you going to mir this sunday?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
#XV

Most of the tubular manifolds I've seen are for the stock, bottom-mount T2x. Megan makes one, JGY has some, etc.

I went with the T3/T4 because it makes the same power, costs the same initially (with the manifold/dp/hotpipe), but if I want to buy a larger turbo in the future, it will cost me half as much as buying another T2x turbo.

No MIR for this Sunday. I usually don't do anything like that on Sundays.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Slidin' By

jc_rps13 has disabled reputation

450 hp with the .64 ar is pushin it a little bit, but the .86 should get there.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 AM
#XV

Originally Posted by jc_rps13
450 hp with the .64 ar is pushin it a little bit, but the .86 should get there.
The .86 is supposed to be capable of well over 450, and the .64 is supposed to make 30hp less, so it should be fine.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Slidin' By

jc_rps13 has disabled reputation

i like being consverative with my turbo selection, I'd rather have a little too big than a little too small
Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 PM
WIKAP WIKAP PLBTTTTT

eeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to alleeterp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blaxican25
The .86 is supposed to be capable of well over 450, and the .64 is supposed to make 30hp less, so it should be fine.
I've seen in the 420s wheel hp from the .86 and high 300s (like 370s/380s) from the .64. Not saying you can't make more. It just depends on how much boost you want to run and if you're using race gas.

if you want mid 400s, look at the 3071R, T3 flanged. shouldn't be too hard and will still spool "ok" with supporting mods.

over 360whp, you want larger than 550cc injectors. 740s are nice and very tunable if you think you may want a bit more power down the road.

Quick Reply: SR20DET Turbo Question