Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sr20det swap help

Old 01-20-2003, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mys142lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sr20det swap help

I got some questions about the sr20 swap. i know about the motor and transmition mounts, but my question is about the wiring i read that some of the wires must be rearanged and lengthed. Also is it easy enough to do that some one that has swaped stock engines could do it.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:14 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

from what i know, if you have a cut harness, get ready for a shit storm. is the motor a bluebird, redtop, blacktop, etc. did it come complete with the ignitor chip and crank angle sensor? i could suggest a few places to do the install. the physical install of the motor is pretty simple it pretty much sits right in there but the wiring was designed by satan himself. let me know if you need any suggestions on who to do the install.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:28 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

the wiring is hell. www.heavythrottle.com can do the wiring for you, i believe it's $120 and takes about 5 days but you have to send them your ka harness along with an uncut sr harness.

it's not the easiest swap in the world, but it's doable.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

the wiring for a s13 motor into a s13 car isn't too bad. the wiring for a s13 motor into a s14 is bad. expecially if you want to keep abs, cruise, and you wipers. the biggest thing about doing it yourself is that you need to have a garage, a engine hoist, lots of tools etc....
shaun
two 240sx's with sr20det power
Old 01-21-2003, 08:22 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally posted by 20psi 240sx
the wiring for a s13 motor into a s13 car isn't too bad.
i suppose this could be the case if originally you got a harness for an automatic trying to use it for a manual and you go through hell trying to figure out why the fuck it won't idle and then suddenly realize why...

but the deal heavythrottle's got going on isn't too bad for novice or inexperienced electricians.

personally i'm most likely going to be going with standalone, either sds or electromotive tec 3. and i'm not even going to fuck with doing the swap myself, i won't have time.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
FredVegas

B16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura aboutB16ASilverHonda has a spectacular aura about

Well putting a s13 motor into a s14 is going to be a nightmare, because it was a motor that was not intended for that car. not mostly the mounts and stuff but mostly the wiring, an s13 motor into a s13 with an UNCUT manual wiring harness is all plug and play for the most part...what i would do is spend the xtra cash and get the s14 or s15 motor. More HP anyways...
Old 01-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

the s14 engine into a s14 is also a wiring nightmare.
the usdm s14 has a diagnostic plug that the jdm doesn't have. do you want to keep the ac? more wiring. if it is a 97 or 98, its even worse.
get the s13 engine, bring it to me and i'll do it for ya.
free of charge, except for the money i'll charge you. :0)
shaun
Old 01-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by blackout
i suppose this could be the case if originally you got a harness for an automatic trying to use it for a manual and you go through hell trying to figure out why the fuck it won't idle and then suddenly realize why...

but the deal heavythrottle's got going on isn't too bad for novice or inexperienced electricians.

personally i'm most likely going to be going with standalone, either sds or electromotive tec 3. and i'm not even going to fuck with doing the swap myself, i won't have time.
can you tell me why.....cuz one certain car i gave the fuck up on for various reasons.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:26 PM
master debater

Originally posted by Greaser
can you tell me why.....cuz one certain car i gave the fuck up on for various reasons.
hahahahaha i think we're talking about the same car. i was only using it in reference to the wiring being hell... and i thought yall figured that thing out! joe had told me it was up and running, he said that when he left all it needed was the intercooler piping finished and a couple other miniscule things.

yup, i'm going to be going with a standalone.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

yeah same car. i gave up long ago. i told joe i wouldnt touch the car if he decided to go with stock ecu. (wouldnt touch if i had to tshoot) i fucked with and wasted 3-4 of my weekends. i hope that car falls off a cliff, he gets insurance money for it and redoes the whole thing.

that whole situation really really really pisses me the fuck off.

Quick Reply: Sr20det swap help