Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sr20det problem, any more fuses?

Old 11-05-2005, 09:32 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default sr20det problem, any more fuses?

long story short, i was trying to secure my battery and when i reconnected it the car wouldn't start. turns out it was a bad battery, but in the troubleshooting process i freaked out and wasn't paying attention and crossed the terminals on the battery and blew something. i already replaced the battery and the alternator fuse i blew up, the car still won't start. as far as i can tell all the accessories have power, the car will crank, but the fuel pump and the power fc commander aren't working. all i can think of is that either the power fc isn't getting any power or it's blown up. all because of a stupid mistake because i was in a hurry. i've checked all the fuses under the hood and the driver's side kick panel visibly because i don't have a test light, or i would have checked power to the powerfc too... are there any concealed fuse panels anywhere or a fuse for the ecu specifically? i'm still hoping it's a fuse or relay somewhere i'm overlooking, because if it isn't i think i blew up the powerfc... i just can't believe that such a simple mistake could have such devastating consequences. any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Boner Jams

-Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal
Default Re: sr20det problem, any more fuses?

hahahaha. I did the same shit. Greaser tried all day to figure out what the fuck happened. Then he noticed I had them flipped.

PM him and ask what he replaced on mine.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:33 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

i figured as soon as he saw this thread he'd be able to at least offer some insight, but now that i see he's had direct experience i'll shoot him a pm.

at least i know i'm not the only one.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

hah i couldnt believe it when i saw it.....

i think he only damaged the wiper relay...his wipers wouldnt work anymore after that.

as far as fuse panels.......you found the only ones in the car. MOST standalones on the market have thier own fusing.

On dans car i think there were only a couple blown fuses under the dash and the 2 under the hood.

go to advance auto and buy a 7$ test light. check for power/ground at your ecu terminals.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
master debater

Originally Posted by Greaser
hah i couldnt believe it when i saw it.....

i think he only damaged the wiper relay...his wipers wouldnt work anymore after that.

as far as fuse panels.......you found the only ones in the car. MOST standalones on the market have thier own fusing.

On dans car i think there were only a couple blown fuses under the dash and the 2 under the hood.

go to advance auto and buy a 7$ test light. check for power/ground at your ecu terminals.
i wish only my wipers weren't working. this shit happened instantaneously upon CONTACT with the terminals (the battery i used to test with was off my wife's mazda, the positive and negative terminals are reversed compared to the one i had and i was in a stressed out hurry), it sparked its ass off and i looked up and the clock wasn't working anymore. at that point i pretty much knew i was screwed.

unfortunately i'm stuck at home with the kids today- my wife is working a double and won't be home until 1am. tomorrow i'm going to head into work and borrow a multimeter and a test light.

did a little poking around on freshalloy, it seems like someone has fried their ecu by crossing the terminals. what i don't understand is if that's the case why the ecu fuses didn't blow.. there is not only the 25A fusible link, but a 10A standard fuse in the box next to the stock battery location, and both of those appear to be fine.

thanks for the reply, i hope you'll be around your computer tomorrow when i can find the time to mess with it... but just in case you're not- to check the power/ground at the ecu terminals i unplug the ecu and stick the light in/on each pin on the plug, right? and say i don't have power to the ecu? what's the next step?

and if i do have power to the ecu, how much am i looking at in replacing it? i don't have the money to buy another pfc..

Last edited by blackout; 11-05-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:24 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

fusible link?
Old 11-05-2005, 04:58 PM
master debater

Originally Posted by Spindrift187
fusible link?
not quite a fuse apparently, the plug-in type with the clear plastic over it.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:03 PM
master debater

ok, i have power at the ecu. i think i'm pretty much fucked. and i got the fuel pump to kick on while i was dicking with the test light on the ecu plug, so everything's pointing to God not wanting me to have a power fc.

i pulled the power fc out, took the cover off just for curiosity's sake. no fuses, of course. i didn't see anything obvious, didn't really smell like anything was burnt, but i'm not getting my hopes up. there happens to be an apexi power excel shop here in baltimore, i'll call them and see if there's any hopes of possibly repairing this thing, but more than likely i'll be purchasing a stock ecu here when i can afford it.

this is why i don't work on cars anymore.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered member

master240sx has disabled reputation
Red face Re: sr20det problem, any more fuses?

check the fuel pressure regulator, if its fine, check and see if you have power at the actuall fuel pump if u dont have power there work back from there see wat u can find
Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 AM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by master240sx
check the fuel pressure regulator, if its fine,

Quick Reply: sr20det problem, any more fuses?