Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SR20DET diagnosis

Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
midnight motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minboostS13 has disabled reputation
Default SR20DET diagnosis

If youve already read this on FA ignore.

I drove to PA this weekend to help a friend find out why his SR wont start. This is what i found:

The wiring harness was absolutely rediculous. It was stripped and loose from the firewall to the ECU. There were spliced wires e-taped not soldered and heatshrunk. They were mingled and confused. That was the first problem.

I pulled the plugs to find that ALL of them were SATURATED in oil. The car hasnt been started, and the oil was still sticky and wet.
I replaced the plugs, reset the timing, and went to check for codes from the ECU. The only problem with that, was the ECU was getting no power. No clicking under check mode, no flashing, etc. I also noticed when turning the key to accessory, that the fuel pump wasnt getting power. I checked it and found there defintely was no power to it at all.

So i got curious and pulled the ECU out and yanked the cover off to find that the whole inside of the ECU was white, with a phosphorous like substance. Almost like battery acid. One of the pins was so corroded, it actually broke off.

So obviously i need an ECU (62) and an SR redtop S13 wiring harness. Anyone know why the cylinders are soaked with oil, other than valve stem seals?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Twosxe has disabled reputation
Default Re: SR20DET diagnosis

Welcome to the world of wet electrical components. The ECU has been wet so yes you will need a ECU. As for the wet and sticky on the plugs... fuel + a little bit of oil = sticky. I would kinda think that even a little bit of blow by plus injector staying open (bad ECU) would cause some of this. You have a strong case of start at the top. Fix the obvious and see where you are.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Ultra Smoke

eugene has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by minboostS13
If youve already read this on FA ignore.

I drove to PA this weekend to help a friend find out why his SR wont start. This is what i found:

The wiring harness was absolutely rediculous. It was stripped and loose from the firewall to the ECU. There were spliced wires e-taped not soldered and heatshrunk. They were mingled and confused. That was the first problem.

I pulled the plugs to find that ALL of them were SATURATED in oil. The car hasnt been started, and the oil was still sticky and wet.
I replaced the plugs, reset the timing, and went to check for codes from the ECU. The only problem with that, was the ECU was getting no power. No clicking under check mode, no flashing, etc. I also noticed when turning the key to accessory, that the fuel pump wasnt getting power. I checked it and found there defintely was no power to it at all.

So i got curious and pulled the ECU out and yanked the cover off to find that the whole inside of the ECU was white, with a phosphorous like substance. Almost like battery acid. One of the pins was so corroded, it actually broke off.

So obviously i need an ECU (62) and an SR redtop S13 wiring harness. Anyone know why the cylinders are soaked with oil, other than valve stem seals?
bring your car to Driftek... We have ECU's to trouble shoot yours
Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Ultra Smoke

[QUOTE=minboostS13]If youve already read this on FA ignore.

So obviously i need an ECU (62) and an SR redtop S13 wiring harness. Anyone know why the cylinders are soaked with oil, other than valve stem seals?[/QUOTE

Last edited by eugene; 04-23-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
gotta go gotta go

cr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond reputecr1m3rat3z has a reputation beyond repute

im having a problem with my sr swap....the car turns on but when i hit the gas it dies...if i slowly hit the gas it revs but to a certain point and then it dies again....can anyone help ?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:57 AM
midnight motorsports

Originally Posted by cr1m3rat3z
im having a problem with my sr swap....the car turns on but when i hit the gas it dies...if i slowly hit the gas it revs but to a certain point and then it dies again....can anyone help ?
sounds like a bad mafs. that is one of the symptoms. unplug it and see if it idles when you let off the throttle. it will rev limit at 3000RPM because it is in safe mode.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:06 AM
midnight motorsports

Originally Posted by eugene
bring your car to Driftek... We have ECU's to trouble shoot yours
The car is in PA, mine runs fine, in fact its getting a full head build. Titanium everything and new turbo setup (GT2871R) I went to PA to try and get it running when i found the submerged ECU and hacked harness.

The kid wont try and tow it down here. Do you have 62's for sale? Im trying to find him one for cheaper than the usual $250.

He will also need a wiring harness. I keep tryin to find garage works, as they are the only ones who send out complete harnesses that were already converted. $350 shipped. I really dont have the time or patience to try and resplice his entire harness.

Thanks for all input so far.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:07 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

. Anyone know why the cylinders are soaked with oil, other than valve stem seals?

most yards pour oil in the engine if its gonna sit for a while, to prevent any damage from stray moisture. i am assuming this is a swap?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

StuntinOutlaw is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a bad mafs. that is one of the symptoms. unplug it and see if it idles when you let off the throttle. it will rev limit at 3000RPM because it is in safe mode.
the car still idles and then cuts off after about a min....as soon as i step on the gas it dies on me again....any other suggestions ??
Old 04-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Ultra Smoke

Originally Posted by StuntinOutlaw
the car still idles and then cuts off after about a min....as soon as i step on the gas it dies on me again....any other suggestions ??
Go to a junk yard and find a SOHC maf from a 240sx or stanza. Plug it in. Then if it still doesn't run call Driftek.

Quick Reply: SR20DET diagnosis