Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sr20 bogging/possible maf cutoff at 2500rpm or safe mode

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blue rexsti has disabled reputation
Default sr20 bogging/possible maf cutoff at 2500rpm or safe mode

Ok so 2 days ago at drift nirvana, my car started experiencing this problem where the car starts cutting off around 2500 rpm and bounces up and down around 2500rpm like its got 2-step! So far, many unofficial mechanics at drift nirvana came to the conclusion that the maf sensor signal wire is either short or has a bad connection. The power and ground wires to the maf are good from what we tested however, either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to check the wires with a volt meter. If anyone else has experienced this on any engine, please lmk and or post your response or advice. Thanks. P.s. I'm trying to get this thing running right for drift water!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Registered member

00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ 00_VIP_BENZ
Default Re: sr20 bogging/possible maf cutoff at 2500rpm or safe mode

Never had this problem with my sr but I have with my hondas. When it did that on my civic was because the ecu went into limp Mode. Do you have a CEL on? Usually a ecu will do this to protect the motor when it's a major fault.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty 1Slow2Forty

I had the same problem on my sr. We I was messing with the powersteering and unplugged the maf while i was working on it then when i put everything back together it started bugging and wouldnt go anywhewre near 3k rpm. When i got back in the garage i unplugged the maf and followed the wires, turned out that since i wired it myself the wires came apart when i extended the maf. (i used electrical tape so it didnt stay) once i fixed the wire it ran fine again and havent had a problem since. Hope this helps

Edit: Also check to make sure the maf is secure al the way cause when i had the maf and elbow piece connecting it to the turbo, it was loose on the elbow piece going to the turbo so i just tightened it down and no air coming out from maf or elbow piece
Old 11-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

After taking out and inspecting the engine harness thouroghly, I found that the maf signal wire was only being held together by 2 strands of the wire due to age and wear and tear. This was the only broken wire. Reconnected it and put the engine harness back in the car. Started it and it was experiencing the same problem. We then decided to try another sr ecu and the car was running like a champ!! Recap: I think what happened was the maf signal wire was shorting and kept shorting which cause a short in the ecu repeatedly, crashing it. With the engine harness also possibly be being bad still, I don't want to risk breaking another ecu, therefore I'm going to get a new engine harness as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

pic of bad maf signal wire!