Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Squeezing power from turbo honda

Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fasian has disabled reputation
Default Squeezing power from turbo honda

Im running a turbo B16a in my racecar. Im currently running 8-9 pounds making around 220whp on a safe tune. Now I know I can get more power from my tune but I dont really wanna mess with it because I like the reliability. Im wondering if anyone knows how I might get 20 to 30 more horses out of it with out turning up the boost, because on cold days it spikes higher then 9 pounds and I dont know where my map sensors limit is. reliability is key

My setup:
B16a stock block
type r intake cam and gsr exhaust cam
type r intake manifold
t3 turbo
2.5in intercooler piping
3in downpipe and exhaust
stock throttle body
tuned on s300

Let me know if you need more info
Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous
Default Re: Squeezing power from turbo honda

Take it to a good tuner
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Step 1: Buy gasoline

Step 2: Pour it on your Honda

Step 3: Set it on fire

Step 4:

Step 5: Buy a Corvette

Step 6: Party
Old 11-29-2011, 12:32 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Cams, headwork, tune.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

Originally Posted by Fasian
Im running a turbo B16a in my racecar. Im currently running 8-9 pounds making around 220whp on a safe tune. Now I know I can get more power from my tune but I dont really wanna mess with it because I like the reliability. Im wondering if anyone knows how I might get 20 to 30 more horses out of it with out turning up the boost, because on cold days it spikes higher then 9 pounds and I dont know where my map sensors limit is. reliability is key
As stated numerous times before, stock B series motors can handle much more power than your present level and still be very reliable. Good tuning and a healthy setup is the key.

The quickest and easiest way to gain the extra power you want is to purchase an aftermarket MAP sensor (preferrably Hondata 4 bar), it's a direct fit replacement for your stock one. Take it to your tuner, have him retune with more boost to reach your desired goal, then set a boost cut to ward off creep on those cold mornings and nights. Problem solved.

If this is a straight T3 turbo, what size do you have? Make sure it, and your injectors, are rated to handle the power you seek. The rest of your setup is pretty straight.

Last edited by Snoop 95; 11-29-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:00 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

I forgot...

BECAUSE RACECAR
Old 11-30-2011, 05:13 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC
As stated numerous times before, stock B series motors can handle much more power than your present level and still be very reliable. Good tuning and a healthy setup is the key.

The quickest and easiest way to gain the extra power you want is to purchase an aftermarket MAP sensor (preferrably Hondata 4 bar), it's a direct fit replacement for your stock one. Take it to your tuner, have him retune with more boost to reach your desired goal, then set a boost cut to ward off creep on those cold mornings and nights. Problem solved.

If this is a straight T3 turbo, what size do you have? Make sure it, and your injectors, are rated to handle the power you seek. The rest of your setup is pretty straight.
A 3 bar MAP is plenty because the boost is fairly low, and it will have better resolution. You don't need that extra bar of pressure.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Fasian has disabled reputation

I know the theory is that the stock map sensor can hold 11psi. Ive been told that it can very slightly and sometimes can only take lets say 10.3 psi. How true is this? Because even if i set a boost cut I dont want to hit it on the track because its like hitting a wall its no fun.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Even if you pick up a GM 3bar map for like 30 bucks, put your setup on 15lbs get it tuned. Make 300+ and be happy. I was making 220 out of my sohc turbo setups on 10lbs reliably. lol
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM
ITSBOCK

Eghatch93 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fasian

My setup:
B16a stock block
type r intake cam and gsr exhaust cam
type r intake manifold
t3 turbo
2.5in intercooler piping
3in downpipe and exhaust
stock throttle body
tuned on s300

Let me know if you need more info
You need the cams i sold fat matt

Quick Reply: Squeezing power from turbo honda