Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Spraying the Intercooler?

Old 12-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Turtle Salad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi
Default Spraying the Intercooler?

I have heard of this before but have never tried it and my friend says it helps out A LOT but im just worried if i am risking anything by doing this...i have spent over 500 dollars on tunning my car and dont want to mess it up by doing something stupid to get an extra 15-20 hp or however much it is...any information would be appreciated thanks.

Hope this isnt a repost i searched and didnt find anything but if it is could you please give me the link to the old post and the mods can delete this one.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Spraying the Intercooler?

Based on experience. It makes a huge difference, esp. on a hot day. It also helps on cold nights but you notice a big difference on hot days.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Turtle Salad

EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi EGon10psi

yeah i was just wondering if it would hurt anything i mean i guess it couldnt really it would just be tricking the engine to thinking the air outside was colder i dont see what harm it could do but i was just curious ....about how much power do you think it gave you?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:48 AM
braap braap

Originally Posted by EGon10psi
yeah i was just wondering if it would hurt anything i mean i guess it couldnt really it would just be tricking the engine to thinking the air outside was colder i dont see what harm it could do but i was just curious ....about how much power do you think it gave you?
I don't have the setup on my car.

It's a 338whp Si(b16 trans). And a 268whp LS swap(ls trans) in a 94 Dx coupe(has the intercooler sprayer)

We got bored and wanted to see the difference it made. 40 Rolls.
1st run- LS coupe pulled the Turbo'd Si then the Si got momentum up and came screaming by the LS Coupe.
2nd run- Same thing
3rd run- LS coupe held the button down to spray his intercooler. They took off. LS Coupe pulled and the turbo'd Si never came by. LS Coupe won by 2 cars.
4th run- LS coupe held the button down before race starter. They took off. Ls coupe pulled instantly and the turbo'd Si never came back.

Then the Ls Coupe ran outta nitrous.. so the Si tore us a new one.

It made a big ass difference, but then again, I think it was because both cars were heat soaked from the get go. The LS coupe has a tiny ass intercooler(the halo ring is as big ass the intercooler, lol.)
Old 12-22-2006, 10:49 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

I've seen Shad dyno an EK a few years back with an N2O intercooler spray. The set-up was gaining anywhere between 25-40 whp. I have one myself. I just havent dynoed my car yet.....
Old 12-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Turtle Salad

nice man i cant wait to try it out as long as nobody says its bad for the car!!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:53 AM
braap braap

Originally Posted by EGon10psi
nice man i cant wait to try it out as long as nobody says its bad for the car!!
It's fine dude, I'd talk to your tuner first. I wouldn't go around spraying the living hell outta it. I'd use it at the track unless you like spending money to play on the street.

Alot of people are afraid of nitrous. Which I do not get...
Old 12-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Got Ink?

SlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond repute

I have a water sprayer on mine? That's gonna be a really small difference isn't it?
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 AM
braap braap

Originally Posted by SlowKOUKI
I have a water sprayer on mine? That's gonna be a really small difference isn't it?
It probably isn't as cold as nitrous oxide.

But it's a hell-a-lot cheaper.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Got Ink?

SlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarrod
It probably isn't as cold as nitrous oxide.

But it's a hell-a-lot cheaper.
Yeah, if I wanted to I could even throw a bunch of ice in the tank on hotter days.

Quick Reply: Spraying the Intercooler?