Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Spec-V Questions

Old 02-10-2004, 06:22 AM
HUH??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1badyota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spec-V Questions

I am wanting to do some things with my 2004 Spec-V to increase the the power,, where should I start?
Old 02-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Pimpin teh stockness

blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5
Default Re: Spec-V Questions

I used to have an ser... anyways people will say different things. I started with an intake.. it helped out on the top end but i'm not really sure the 3-8hp you gain is worth the 170-220 they go for.

So on that note if you look under your intake box.. assuming you know where it is, there is an intake resonator connected to it down in the fender.. pull that off and you will notice a little more throttle response and a little more sound.

FRee mod!!!

On ser's header and exhaust give the best gains.. unless you want to get pricey..
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

If your looking for the most hp for the money then get a Balance Shaft removal kit from JWT. It will feel like a different motor.

If that sounds too drastic then you can get a good header like a Hot Shot, but unless you have a intake and exhaust it wont make a huge difference. So ditch the balance shaft.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Pimpin teh stockness

blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5 blackFa5

balance shaft is a little extreme.. unless you know what your doing though. thats why i didnt list it. But yeah that frees up like 10 or so right?
Old 02-11-2004, 06:24 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Yeah around 10 and plus it revs a lot easier.

The mod is not actually hard to do, it just takes a little while and is a pain in the ass. It's worth it though. I've had mine done for a while now and haven't had any problems. I think the car runs better without them.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

im not really an se-r guy so i don't know much about the qr25.

But this is my assumption, a motor with a long stroke would need balance shafts otherwise it would just sake itself to death. maybe not now...maybe not immediatly, but perhaps in the future. there is a reason why its there and relativily hard to get to.

have people noticed any long term effects with thier balance shafts removed?
Old 02-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Pimpin teh stockness

Thats what I was thinking when I had my ser. But supposedly they are there just to counteract normal engine vibration. But who knows they might have had another reason.

Seriously though to the original poster. Get an intake, youll notice throttle response and maybe slight top end power.. But the sound will make up for the price, and at least youll feel faster.. (me 15.9 stock / 15.4 with intake) Probably coulda done better, but I always got screwed and got like 2 runs in each time up at vmp.

Last edited by SERious; 02-12-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Rippen Griffen

F10-Spec V is an unknown quantity at this point

As for my Spec V, I started with:

1. CAI from Injen - very little power gain, but my fuel economy went from 28mpg to 30 mpg on the highway.

2. Catback from Stromung - nice power upgrade, more hp and torque, and the spec v has a nice rumble from the exhaust. You opt for the resinator if you don't want to hear the exhaust

3. Lighter wheels - Stock wheels weigh 25 lbs each, I bought some Enkeis that weigh 19.5 lbs.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:02 PM
HUH??

1badyota is an unknown quantity at this point

I really appreciate it fellas,,I will check back and let you know how things went
Old 02-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Banned

Boosted2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FutureProspect
im not really an se-r guy so i don't know much about the qr25.

But this is my assumption, a motor with a long stroke would need balance shafts otherwise it would just sake itself to death. maybe not now...maybe not immediatly, but perhaps in the future. there is a reason why its there and relativily hard to get to.

have people noticed any long term effects with thier balance shafts removed?
I don't there are very many people that have removed the shafts and have high mileage yet. But there will be an affect some how. It can cause uneven bore where too.

Quick Reply: Spec-V Questions