Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Spark plug wire tape?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 AM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Spark plug wire tape?

The rubber boot between my spark plug wire and the spark plug connector end is torn. The engine runs fine without it, so I don't think it provides any needed electrical insulation, but rather I think it serves as a dust boot/to make it harder for the wire to come off teh connector. Is there a tape I could use while I await a new boot? Keep in mind, this is a V8, putting the wire in close proximity to the headers (there's a heatshield, but still)
Old 10-31-2010, 01:03 PM
БЛЯДЬ!

HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG HEISENBERG
Default Re: Spark plug wire tape?

That spray-on tape maybe?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:13 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can get plug wire boots (and all other plug wire parts) at NAPA if you need something cheap while you wait for your fancypants OEM Merc parts.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-31-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

boy oh boy...
Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You can get plug wire boots (and all other plug wire parts) at NAPA if you need something cheap while you wait for your facypants OEM Merc parts.
What I need is the rubber portion (and just the rubber) circled here

On mine, it's a bit different, but that's pretty close.

I actually have one of the connectors pictured, but sadly MB screwed up. When you buy a set of wires from MB, you get a very nice set of Bosch made in Germany (different from aftermarket Bosch) wires. When you buy a replacement connector, you get the one in the picture (made by Beru). Unfortunately, the Bosch setup is male on the connector side and the Beru is female, and as the wires in the MB set are precisely sized for each cylinder, I can't just cut off and redo the connector end

It turns out what I thought in the parts catalog is a replacement rubber piece is in fact something entirely different. So, now I'm faced with either buying a new wire set or building a wire from parts and having one wire be Beru while the rest are Bosch (and the Bosch are just plain better).

Last edited by marlinspike; 10-31-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:58 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by nftuatn
boy oh boy...
I feel like you know something I don't....

Well, that's obvious, but I mean that I feel like you know something relevant that I don't.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
ATGATT

This is what i need
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/75050/10002/-1

Would anybody sell this locally?
Old 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You can get plug wire boots (and all other plug wire parts) at NAPA if you need something cheap while you wait for your fancypants OEM Merc parts.
hoooondata

<3
Old 10-31-2010, 07:42 PM
ATGATT

Yeah but he missed what i need. I don't need plug boots, I need a rubber sleeve, or some sort of extreme heat electrical tape, or heat shrink tubing. Where can I get those things locally? The boot is fine, and in fact I drove the car tonight. All the rubber sleeve is for is to keep out moisture and make it a little harder for the two pieces (boot and wire) to separate, so what I need is something that would also accomplish those two goals.