VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Sparco Sienas won't fit right in my S13 PLEASE HELP (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/sparco-sienas-wont-fit-right-my-s13-please-help-375976/)

All_Black_240 12-21-2010 09:10 PM

Sparco Sienas won't fit right in my S13 PLEASE HELP

I just bought a set of Sparco Siena seats for my 240sx S13 with the Sparco sliders and brackets but they are to high. I'm 6'1" and when I sit in them my knees touch the steering wheel and all the buttons around it. I was considering just making custom brackets, but the brackets that came with the seats set against the "bump" in the floor. So I don't know how to make the seats any lower other than removing the sliders, but I would like to keep them. Does anyone have any tips on how I could lower my seats? I really don't want to get rid of the seats because I really like them, but if I can't get them any lower I think I might have to get rid of them. I would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Fabrik8 12-21-2010 10:43 PM

Re: Sparco Sienas won't fit right in my S13 PLEASE HELP

What hardware did you actually buy? If you got some universal hardware kit then you're probably going to have problems because they never work out of the box.

There is a 400 Series seat base listed for your specific car, so you might want to look into that and see if they'll get to the height you want. The 400/500 Series stuff is usually direct bolt-in to factory mounting points, so that's likely your best bet without getting some modification work done.

Fabrik8 12-21-2010 11:08 PM

Those are cool looking seats, I had to look them up because I hadn't heard of them before. They're a lot more OEM-looking than most of the Sparco seats, they almost look like something that Recaro would make.

All_Black_240 12-21-2010 11:36 PM

All the hardware I bought was from Sparco, (if by hardware you mean the allen wrench bolts). But they don't really have anything to do with height. And if you were talking about the brackets, I got them from Sparco too, and they bolt in fine, it lines up perfectly with the stock bolts. I also got the sliders from Sparco, and they are pretty thin so I don't know if the seat would even get much lower if I too them off and bolted the seats directly to the brackets. I'm in a bit of a conundrum. And thanks thats what I was going for, just a simple look...but its turning out not to be so simple. haha

Fabrik8 12-21-2010 11:48 PM

I can't picture what the floor looks like in that car, or what those specific mounting brackets look like, but it may be possible to get the mounting tabs modified to drop the brackets closer to the floor. Sometimes that's easy, sometimes it's not. If there's chassis reinforcement ribs that the brackets mount to the front/back of (some cars have them, some don't), those ribs are obviously the lowest height you can go without modifying the chassis.

So there's hope, but it might take some bracket modification. Otherwise you might have to get a seat with a thinner foam base, or figure out how to modify some other part of the seat. I'm sure lots of people have solved this problem already with all of the 240s out there, so there's probably a decent solution.

All_Black_240 12-22-2010 12:00 AM

It turns out that the bump isn't for reinforcement, its just to make room for the cat. I think I am just going to cut out the entire hump and relocate the bolt that sets on top of it. Then I will have to make new brackets, but that should give me an extra few inches and hopefully that is all I need. I appreciate the help.

Fabrik8 12-22-2010 09:43 AM

I think there are probably easier solutions to that, so you may want to look around first before doing anything radical.

All_Black_240 12-22-2010 07:22 PM

I can't see any other alternatives. As of right now the lowest possible point that the seat can sit (levelly) is at the top of this hump. So if i want to go lower, than the hump has got to go!

Fabrik8 12-22-2010 09:44 PM

OK, sounds like a plan. Got any pics to show where the areas of interference are?

All_Black_240 12-22-2010 09:47 PM

Ill try to put some up sometime this week. Ill do a pretty detailed write up if this works so nobody else will have this problem.