Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

sometimes car starts sometimes it doesnt(dc2)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI
Default sometimes car starts sometimes it doesnt(dc2)

Obd2a integra....

So sometimes I will go outside and attempt to start it. The main relay will start fuckn clicking before it starts. It doesn't attempt to crank or anything..... don't think its the starter because when the car does finally start my clock always messes up and I have to set the time. I'm obviously losing power, but can the main relay do that to my car and be the problem?

Last edited by BREWSKI; 10-07-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: sometimes car starts sometimes it doesnt(dc2)

Check for a bad ground or a broken battery cable clamp, or corrosion on one of the main battery or distribution terminals. All the symptoms you listed make it sound like a main power or ground has an intermittent connection, or that a main power or ground has something like a corrosion problem that is resisting current flow. The clock is connected to constant power (the clock illumination is switched with the ignition, the timekeeping power is always connected to the battery) so if the clock is losing time then that would point to a main power or ground problem. Basically the relay and the clock aren't getting the voltage they need to operate properly, and if low current devices can't operate properly then high current devices (like the starter) definitely can't. That could be a problem with the low current circuits, and the relay isn't engaging the starter solenoid, or it could be a problem with all the circuits and the starter isn't getting enough current even though the starter solenoid is getting engaged. I've seen both happen, and it just depends on where it happens (at the distribution panel instead of at the battery, for example).

This should actually be easy to track down if you have a multimeter and can make sense of what you find while troubleshooting.

I've actually seen this exact same problem with a few different cars, but the actual cause was different in each car. They all created a intermittent or high-resistance problem though.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI BREWSKI

With that being said i guess i should have mentioned that the CD player shuts on then off repeatedly.....
Old 10-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by BREWSKI
With that being said i guess i should have mentioned that the CD player shuts on then off repeatedly.....
Not surprising. It's being affected by the same problem that is making the relay chatter and the clock reset. When you find (and fix) the problem, the CD player will work properly, along with the relay and the clock.

Found anything interesting so far?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-09-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:02 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Not surprising. It's being affected by the same problem that is making the relay chatter and the clock reset. When you find (and fix) the problem, the CD player will work properly, along with the relay and the clock.
so its the in-dash harness then? fuck........i hate wiring....
Old 10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by BREWSKI
so its the in-dash harness then?

You're missing my point. You're thinking local. Think global. It could be the dash harness, but it's much more likely that it's something affecting multiple circuits at one, and not just because the circuits are derived from the same wiring harness. Don't get wrapped up trying to figure out the individual symptoms. Try to figure out the bigger picture that the symptoms are telling you.

Do you have problems with the headlights, or brake lights, or anything like that?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM
DRINK BEER AND FIGHT

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're missing my point. You're thinking local. Think global. It could be the dash harness, but it's much more likely that it's something affecting multiple circuits at one, and not just because the circuits are derived from the same wiring harness. Don't get wrapped up trying to figure out the individual symptoms. Try to figure out the bigger picture that the symptoms are telling you.

Do you have problems with the headlights, or brake lights, or anything like that?
i havent been home enough to try and figure it out yet. No i have to problem with any lighting issues