Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

SOHC KA help...

Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWOFAWTY has disabled reputation
Default SOHC KA help...

Hey guys, I got a KA24E that I just put back together. I put it all back together the other day and tried to start it even though all the vacuum lines weren't hooked up and the only thing tightened on the intake manifold was the top studs. (I just want the bitch to run so I can drive it for a while as I build the motor that I eventually want in it...) It started and ran for a couple days, then one day when it was idling it started to backfire and cut off. Now it won't start.

It threw the timing off somehow...? But that's all fixed, come to find out the gear on the oil pump shaft had moved and the distributor wasn't flush with the block. Now it still won't start, think I blew the intake manifold gasket?

Any thoughts?

I should be out there figuring it out myself but I've been sick the past few days and really don't feel like it...so what the hell.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:49 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift
Default Re: SOHC KA help...

Originally Posted by BLACK95X
even though all the vacuum lines weren't hooked up and the only thing tightened on the intake manifold was the top studs.
Here's a crazy idea, hook everything up as it should be, then see what happens.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Originally Posted by Spindrift
Here's a crazy idea, hook everything up as it should be, then see what happens.

Well I don't know where all the lines go since the shit was all taken apart when I got the car, and it ran and (surprisingly) held an idle without them. I could drive it and everything, so I don't think hooking up a few lines would make it run all of a sudden again...

Last edited by TWOFAWTY; 10-29-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:11 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by BLACK95X
Well I don't know where all the lines go since the shit was all taken apart when I got the car, and it ran and (surprisingly) held an idle without them. I could drive it and everything, so I don't think hooking up a few lines would make it run all of a sudden again...
Its possible the intake mani gasket is leakin like all hell from not bolting it down correctly, id start by checking that out. If you are gonna be taking off the manifold id recomment capping off all vaccuum lines with the exception of the FPR and ditching the butterflies. It really cleans it up, not to mention down the road vaccuum leaks are one less issue to deal with.

Id ditch the AIV box if you still have it as well, its been the cause of a crappy running KA for me in the past as well.

EDIT: All things ive mentioned removing should only be done if you live in an area that doesnt do emissions testing as Im pretty sure this would make you fail.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

Originally Posted by Spindrift
Its possible the intake mani gasket is leakin like all hell from not bolting it down correctly, id start by checking that out. If you are gonna be taking off the manifold id recomment capping off all vaccuum lines with the exception of the FPR and ditching the butterflies. It really cleans it up, not to mention down the road vaccuum leaks are one less issue to deal with.

Id ditch the AIV box if you still have it as well, its been the cause of a crappy running KA for me in the past as well.

EDIT: All things ive mentioned removing should only be done if you live in an area that doesnt do emissions testing as Im pretty sure this would make you fail.
I'm pretty sure it's the gasket, just haven't felt like getting out and taking it off.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

wait you el blew the intake valves. YAY
Old 11-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

integrag is an unknown quantity at this point

no yay with that