Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Skunk2 Manifold for h22?Good or Bad

Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM_Tuning23 has disabled reputation
Default Skunk2 Manifold for h22?Good or Bad

I recently bought a skunk 2 intake manifold for h22 and hondata gasket. then i was just searching the web and was reading up on something that said skunk2 manifolds for h22 are bad and you actually lose power depending on your setup.
this is my setup:
JDM H22a
LSD Tranny
Hondata S200
Head was ported and Polished
Block Honed
Stage 5 Competition Clutch
JE 12:5:1 Pistons
Type S Camshaft
ARP Head Studs
Ebay Headers
New Oil Pump
Head Gasket

Can anyone help me out?? should I put it on or just resell it and if its worth getting a euro R manifold
Old 03-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be
Default Re: Skunk2 Manifold for h22?Good or Bad

i dont know if this is exactally true but i read that the Type R intake manifold has a bigger bore than the skunk2, blox and other manifolds.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The runner length and runner diameter have the most effect on power output. What you've been hearing about losing power (depending on the setup) mostly has to do with how much flow you need, which depends on the power output you're making. For example, say the Skunk2 manifold has larger runners than the stock manifold, and you're making roughly stock power, you might lose power with the Skunk2 because of the lower flow velocity through the runners. Along the same lines, if the Skunk2 has shorter or longer runners than the stock manifold, that can slide the power band up or down the RPM range compared to stock (the reasons for that are a little lengthy, but I'll tell you if you want).

I really don't know the specific differences between the stock vs. the Skunk2, I'm just giving you the theory behind the stuff you're hearing in your travels.

So really what you need to do is find out WHY the Skunk2 is different than the stock manifold, and then you can get a picture of whether that will work or not with your mods. I'd say that with the head mods, cams, and compression increase, the Skunk2 will probably be a good thing. Skunk2 manifolds usually flow more than stock, but again I don't know the specifics of the Prelude stuff.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

JDM_Tuning23 has disabled reputation

That makes sense, so should i go with the euro R manifold to make more power?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

euro r mani. /thread

http://www.roskoracing.com/
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

jdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura about

I had a skunk2 in my h22 civic and it didnt make any power until i built my custom headers and tuned it.

if you build some good custom headers for it or get some rmf headers that are buit for an h2 swap in a civic that the skunk2 manifold will make a huge difference. my civic dynoed over 25 whp higher with the header and skunk2 manifold. but you need both to get the power out of it
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So what you're saying is that one part won't make tons of power without upgrading other parts and then tuning too? Weird, I always wondered how that worked. Lol..

Now that you've got the power mods out of the way, you should put some time into straightening up that scary wiring job in the pictures.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

jdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So what you're saying is that one part won't make tons of power without upgrading other parts and then tuning too? Weird, I always wondered how that worked. Lol..

Now that you've got the power mods out of the way, you should put some time into straightening up that scary wiring job in the pictures.
that is basically what i am saying. the skunk2 manifold did nothing by it self but when the headers got built there was a huge increase on the dyno. the wiring job did get cleaned up but i sold it a couple years ago.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Spglizzy7 is on a distinguished road
Default Swap question ?

Swap question.
I seen you had a h22 shaped civic with skunk2 intake manifold.... did you have to do any customization to get the manifold to fit ? People are saying I have to beat in the firewall....

?
Originally Posted by jdm h22a civic
I had a skunk2 in my h22 civic and it didnt make any power until i built my custom headers and tuned it.

if you build some good custom headers for it or get some rmf headers that are buit for an h2 swap in a civic that the skunk2 manifold will make a huge difference. my civic dynoed over 25 whp higher with the header and skunk2 manifold. but you need both to get the power out of it
Old 02-27-2020, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

It's been a long time but I had Avid motor mounts. At the time if you had Avid or Hasport motor mounts than everything fit fine and there was never any beating of the firewall for anything to fit. The H22 fit into the EG chasis with ease as long as you had the right motor mounts.

Originally Posted by Spglizzy7
Swap question.
I seen you had a h22 shaped civic with skunk2 intake manifold.... did you have to do any customization to get the manifold to fit ? People are saying I have to beat in the firewall....
?