Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Sir swap in a 96 Ek

Old 10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Autobots detected

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave. Soundwave.
Default Sir swap in a 96 Ek

Ello everyone. I have a VERY important question for you all. First all lemme start by telling the story.

I just recently bought a 1996 civic ek hatch. I bought it from a kid who bought this car from Hybrid garage in Fredsrickburg, Va. Of course many of you all know that the sir motor runs with an obd0 ecu and the 96 civic comes with an obd2 ecu. My question is what will i need to pass emissions in the NOVA area? Ive been told that all i would need is an obd2 ecu seeing how thats what the car originally came with and seeing how obd2 has less things to detect (ex. O2 sensor, Knock sensor).Will i just need a obd2 ecu? or will i need a harness as well? Please help.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Fitty Tuckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-
Default Re: Sir swap in a 96 Ek

Originally Posted by Ek9kidd
Ello everyone. I have a VERY important question for you all. First all lemme start by telling the story.

I just recently bought a 1996 civic ek hatch. I bought it from a kid who bought this car from Hybrid garage in Fredsrickburg, Va. Of course many of you all know that the sir motor runs with an obd0 ecu and the 96 civic comes with an obd2 ecu. My question is what will i need to pass emissions in the NOVA area? Ive been told that all i would need is an obd2 ecu seeing how thats what the car originally came with and seeing how obd2 has less things to detect (ex. O2 sensor, Knock sensor).Will i just need a obd2 ecu? or will i need a harness as well? Please help.
The obd2 has more sensors it checks. You will need a ecu from a 99-00 SI. You will need the sensors that the ecu looks for. Other things go into play with emissions to like exhaust. There was a write up somewhere were a shop installed a obd1 motor in a obd2 car they had to switch a lot of stuff to obd2. Sell the motor and get the correct swap if you live in a place that has emissions.